The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new! And I'm collecting research for a planted tank I'd like to set up in the future:

My desire is to purchase a Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank and upgrade the lights to two of the MR11 LED lights.

But, what I am uncertain of is what plant types will work best under these conditions:

These are the specs for the MR11 bulbs. Truthfully, I don't know enough to make a solid judgment call regarding if this is or isn't enough light to say....grow a carpet of baby tears. What do you think?

• Bulb Type :MR11 10 White LED G4 Base
  • Life time:30,000 Hours / Operating Voltage:12 V AC DC (125 mA)
  • Color:White (6000K)
  • View Angle:140 Deg/Consumption:2.1 Watt
  • Light output:160 Lumen

Even with the new MR11 lights illuminating the 6 gallon tank, am I still in "low-light" land? Should I just stick to java fern and anubias for my planted tank? I plan on heavily stocking it plants so that it has a very lush aesthetic, so I want to make sure I am investing in the correct plants.

If anyone currently has this tank/light set-up, I'd love to hear what plants have or haven't worked for you.

Additionally, I wasn't planning on rigging in a CO2 system, just maybe using some Excel to keep the plants healthy -- so if you also know of pretty hardy plants that will thrive without a CO2 system and under the MR11 lights -- drop some knowledge on me!!

Would love to read any advice or see any pics.

Thanks!

PS. I've done a massive amount research into the pros and cons of the Fluval Edge tank system, so I know what I'm getting into in terms of the constraints around purchasing this tank. Which is why I'd love any practical advice from anyone who's loved a Fluval and wants to pass on plant secrets. Cuz, basically, I love the design too much and I am determined to make this dream happen.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you have purchased your LED already, I have a PAR meter and Edge tank to test the value for you.

I am in NYC too, Flushing.

One PRACTICAL advise would be to make sure you have a bubbler or enough aeration when you fill the water to the top glass.

·
Registered
736 Posts
That was my first upgrade to my fluval edge. I was able to grow (more like keep alive) anubias, anacharis, and hygro compact without CO2. They were planted in the center of the tank directly below the lights. I would be interested in seeing what PAR those throw down if you end up testing them.

It took a few more upgrades before I could actually GROW any plant I wanted.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That was also my first upgrade to my Edge. Any lower light plant has worked and grown for me. Anubias, java fern, crypts, swords, pennywort, vals, mosses, anacharis. Here is a pic of the sword I just recently pulled from my tank. Pretty extensive root system and some minor deficiency is evident but that is to be expected since I never gave it root tabs. I have left crypts grow even bigger than this sword and they shaded almost the entire footprint of the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much everyone for the info! I'll check back in I'm sure once I start getting the set-up assembled.

Have a good one xo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts