The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I've had both of these tanks up and running for about a month in their current state. The 10 gallon has been up and running for about a year and a half in total. The tank had a terrible snail and nematode infestation and the substrate was extremely dirty. I recently moved, and took the opportunity to completely break down the tank so that I could clean it and add new substrate. It was at this time that I also set up the 1.5 gallon to house most of my shrimp population. Below are pictures of both set ups:

10 Gallon FTS:

10 Gallon FTS Moonlight:

10 Gallon Overhead:

1.5 Gallon FTS:

1.5 Gallon FTS Moonlight:

1.5 Gallon Overhead Moonlight:

10 Gallon Flora & Fauna:

Rotala
Purple Cabomba
Java Moss
1 x Common Pleco
1 x Hillstream Loach
1 x Balloon German Blue Ram
2 x Male Endlers
3 x Cardinal Tetra
5 x Crystal Red Shrimp

1.5 Gallon Fauna:
15 x Neocaridina heteropoda var "yellow"
1 x Crystal Red Shrimp (juvenile)
1 x Neocaridina heteropoda var "red"
?? x Shrimp fry

Thanks for taking a look! I'll update with the equipment being used another time (or if there are other members asking for additional info).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of light are you using on the tanks?

The 10 Gallon is under a Fluval Aqualife & Plant LED. It is fairly low light. I probably wouldn't recommend it to others for a 10 gallon, 18" depth, application. I bought it originally because I had very little space above my tank. Also due to the unique shape of the tank (this is a half moon) I hesitated to get the typical "bar" style light; I'm still not sure that one would be able to sit properly on the top rim.

The 1.5 Gallon is stock, battery powered, LED right now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update and equipment

Hey all,

just a quick update. I lost three of the adult RCS that I had in the 10 gal. I doubt that my water conditions are bad, so I'm thinking that they may have been getting on in age. Regardless, it's a sad day. See listed below a list of equipment for each of the fish tanks. I'm going to be slowly upgrading my 10 gallon, getting the tech out of the tank, bumping up the light, and considering CO2 some time down the road. Next update will feature new driftwood and new filter upgrade.

10 Gallon Equipment List

Substrate: Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil bed, CairbSea Eco-Complete Black cap.
Lighting: Fluval Aqualife & Plant LED
Filter: Penguin Biowheel 150 HOB
Heater: Marinelife 50W heater (stock item with tank)
CO2: None
Ferts: None

1.5 Gallon Equipment List

Substrate: Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum
Lighting: Stock Topfin battery-operated LED
Filter: Topfin IF-10
Heater: Undergravel betta heating pad
CO2: None
Ferts: None

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Filter Upgrade, new Driftwood

Updated pics!

I've replaced the original piece of driftwood I had in my 10 gallon. This new piece is a root that I found about 10 years ago. I left it out in my backyard and it never rotted or anything so I soaked it last year and gave it to a friend.

I was looking for a change and so he and i swapped pieces. I also upgraded my filter to an Eheim 2213. This thing is a beast. my tank is noticeably cleaner after just a couple of days in the tank. I'm sure that I'm going to go through a new cycle with this because I didn't seed the filter with old media from the previous filter. This is okay with me because my Balloon Blue Ram is showing some signs of ich on his caudal fin. I'll try to snap a pic of him when the lights come on, but for both of these reasons I'll be doing daily water changes. Tank temp has been raised up to 81.

Here's a better shot of the new driftwood. Sadly though, I lost my Hillstream Loach (he's on the front glass of the last photo)...I think the re-scape, move, and the new filter might have been too much stress all at once for him/her. The remaining RCS I had in the 10 gallon have also been moved to my friends tank with the driftwood. I still have a couple of juvie RCS and Cherries in my shrimp tank, but no more adult RCS. I didn't want to risk losing more of them when they started dropping like flies.

·
Registered
245 Posts
LOVE the new wood, what a great piece. I really think it would look amazing if you put it in the top right between those stones. If you fill in any unnatural looking gaps with a few smaller stones, it'll look killer. Then you have room to put a carpet plant in the whole other side.

I also have the Eheim 2213 on my tank, isn't is fabulous? Worth every penny, this thing is a tank. I hooked up some lily pipes to it and the flow in my tank is very circular, it's nice.

Good luck with you shrimps, mine were touch and go for a couple months, too. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOVE the new wood, what a great piece. I really think it would look amazing if you put it in the top right between those stones. If you fill in any unnatural looking gaps with a few smaller stones, it'll look killer. Then you have room to put a carpet plant in the whole other side.

I also have the Eheim 2213 on my tank, isn't is fabulous? Worth every penny, this thing is a tank. I hooked up some lily pipes to it and the flow in my tank is very circular, it's nice.

Good luck with you shrimps, mine were touch and go for a couple months, too. :)

Thanks! I've been considering doing that as well! I completely forgot to list it, but there's a dwarf red lily bulb on the right side, which has only just begun to produce new growth (it seems to be a seasonal bulb, which is really cool).

I like the idea of a carpet, and I think that I could do a pretty decent bonsai tree scape with this wood piece. I definitely need to do a couple of things before I can realize that though. I think that my Pleco will have to go to a new home soon and I will definitely need to upgrade my lighting. I really like the 18" Current USA Satellite+ PRO. I've also resigned myself to building a hanging/housing system for any light I purchase due to the shape of the tank.

I'm sure I'm going to be playing around with the scape so I'll be updating to see what everyone thinks! Next time I'll update the Flora, Fauna, and Equipment since they've already changed up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts