The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sitting here on a sunny Saturday afternoon surfing the net and ran in to this Mr. Aqua Bookshelf / Long Frameless Glass Aquarium Tank

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I just ordered one and can't wait to get it. I didn't know Mr Aqua made a 3 gal long. Apparently they also have available a 1.5g long, and a 6g long. I'm sure I'll be ordering those very soon as well. Ever since I bought my 12g long I've been addicted to the long tank look. I now own 4 long style tanks. Very addicting. If you purchase a Mr Aqua 3 gallon long after reading this please post about here. I would like to see how other people set up this cool tank.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm jonesing for this tank too. I have the DBP 3L, sort of a framed version of this tank. I like it and have done some things to give it a modernistic look. Saw the Mr Aqua tank about 3 weeks ago and now I want it but don't know where I can put it in my small apartment (already have 5 tanks indoors). Will be watching your project develop. Good luck.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I want to go low light and think I might go with this.
Not bad for under $20. shipped

Dimensions - 14.50” x 1.75” x 0.75”
Includes 18 LEDs
0.20 watt LED
Uses 4 watts
18x 10000K LEDs
Slim and contemporary light design
Clamp on bracket
Clamp will fit 0.25" thick sides
Gooseneck clearance is 2.00"
Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
Low voltage power supply
110V - 220V

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got the tank set up and cycling. I'll be stocking it with shrimp. Just not sure what kind yet. I'm thinking fire reds and golden bees would look cool together. I'm open to opinions. I just got finished planting the LC. It seemed like it took forever. It kept wanting to pop up just like planting HC. Crazy! Anyways, here's my plant list for this tank.

Plants:
Lilaeopsis Chinensis
Riccia
Anubias petite
Unknown moss (fissidens)???
Caloglossa cf. beccarii (Red moss)
Frogbit

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
That looks like a perfect tank for shrimp, I'm totally loving the dimensions! :thumbsup: How is the light working out for you so far? Does it seem bright enough for low light plants?

Ive thought about picking up the 1.5G one, but I'm still kind of on the fence. Are you still thinking about picking one up? I would love to see one up and running before Id go through with it ;) lol

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Is the Riccia (front right(?)) matted? I've been curious about trying it, but how does it grow out from the original mat, I mean will new growth that's not weighed down give you floating/hovering edges? I ask because I thought this plant typically likes to float on the surface.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i bought one of the mr aqua 3 gallon long tanks and now have 3 of them. nice little tanks. frogbit looks great! i bought some thats set to be delivered today. i was wondering as far as size how it would look in the 3 gallon tank. love the look of it in your tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the Riccia (front right(?)) matted? I've been curious about trying it, but how does it grow out from the original mat, I mean will new growth that's not weighed down give you floating/hovering edges? I ask because I thought this plant typically likes to float on the surface.
I've tied it down before and I always end up trimmimg it. I've seen carpets (attached to mesh) grown with riccia and it looks super cool! Trimming it and cleaning up all the little floating pieces can be a pita. :icon_mad: But worth it!:biggrin:

i bought one of the mr aqua 3 gallon long tanks and now have 3 of them. nice little tanks. frogbit looks great! i bought some thats set to be delivered today. i was wondering as far as size how it would look in the 3 gallon tank. love the look of it in your tank.
Thanks for the compliment! I think it looks awesome! I had salvini minima in there at first. But my filter kept pushing it to the bottom of the tank and it was getting tangled in my moss. The frogbit is to heavy for my filter to sink it. It might also be a better nitrate absorber due to it's longer root system I'm guessing. Your tank is super tranquil looking. I like it!

That looks like a perfect tank for shrimp, I'm totally loving the dimensions! :thumbsup: How is the light working out for you so far? Does it seem bright enough for low light plants?

I'm planning on putting shrimp in it as soon as it's done cycling. Which shrimp to put in it is the question:confused::confused::confused:
I was thinking crystal whites and fire reds together. I'm open to suggestions!
I just planted it the other day so it's too early to tell if the light was a good choice or not. However, there are other members on this site that have the same light and are using it with success. That's what moved me to buy it. I will post an update later once the tank establishes itself.

Ive thought about picking up the 1.5G one, but I'm still kind of on the fence. Are you still thinking about picking one up? I would love to see one up and running before Id go through with it ;) lol
Eventually I'm sure one will end up in my house. My next :icon_idea was to build a rack for some more shrimp tanks:hihi::hihi::hihi:
I think you should just bite the bullet and get one:proud:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What light are you using?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Specifications
- Dimension: 18″ x 5.5″ x 7.1″
- 3 Gallons.
- Extra fine silicone finish.
The reason I ask is that I have a night table that is exactly 18.0 "

If those are internal dimensions then the tank would over hang an edge.

On the other hand, that looks like extra ordinarily thick glass. Would overhanging an edge be critical .... like the Edge Tank by fluval

I a mat necessary. What kind of filter is that?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts