The Planted Tank Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
CPDs are a very good candidate for me, probably my #1 choice right now. I don't know of many flashy nanos.
If I'm remembering correctly, pseudomugil furcatus like high flow, and they're a beautiful, interesting species. I know Hillstream Loaches and the true Freshwater Gobies do, too, but I don't know much about their tank size requirements.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I kind of miss seeing the red from the rocks peeking thru. So if you plan to trim back the MP, I'd be interested to take some off your hands. ;)

Growth overall is looking very lush and this tank achieved that very natural look you were going for.

You could try ember tetras. Those stay pretty small as well.

Thanks bereninga, I miss a lot of the red rock too. Nothing that a little trim to open things up again. That being said, it was mostly mini Christmas moss, not mini pellia. Better luck next time. I was considering the embers but I don't know how well they would do in strong current. Also I feel that the bright orange would be a bit overwhelming for the entire tank. CPDs are at least muted orange and mostly black/blue. I can mull on it a bit more, no rush here. :)

If I'm remembering correctly, pseudomugil furcatus like high flow, and they're a beautiful, interesting species. I know Hillstream Loaches and the true Freshwater Gobies do, too, but I don't know much about their tank size requirements.

I've looked into pseudomugil species as well. Would be nice to have cyanodorsalis but the combo of being an estuarine species and hard to find makes it a combo breaker for me. I heard that furcatus can be a bit aggressive with conspecifics so I'm slightly hesitant. They mostly hang on the surface too right? Hard to find those around here too unless I'm willing to drive a good 20+ miles to find a source.

Freshwater gobies love to dig, which makes them unfavorable candidates since the rock work is a bit fragile. I'm not familiar with hillstream loaches but I don't think I have enough flow (funny) to accommodate their needs.

Thanks for the suggestions! Please keep them coming!

PS-- aridarums might not be aquatic. Mine has just turning into mush without any replacement leaves. Might be because I'm doing it wrong.

Jae or butterfly barbs would be amazing too but they don't like high flow.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
This is really a beautiful tank! I am not sure I have the patience for something like this, but I certainly enjoy admiring your handiwork! I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it evolves. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
PS-- aridarums might not be aquatic. Mine has just turning into mush without any replacement leaves. Might be because I'm doing it wrong.
Oh no! I was curious about this plant last week, but never pulled the trigger on buying it. I'm hoping that it'll come back for you because that plant is pretty expensive. Which kind did you get and how long have you had it?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
This is really a beautiful tank! I am not sure I have the patience for something like this, but I certainly enjoy admiring your handiwork! I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it evolves. :)

Thanks very much Jennie, all that needs to be done is to add a few more Anubias whites, for the ludwigia white to fill out and a bit more. Otherwise I have a battle with thread algae to carry out.

Oh no! I was curious about this plant last week, but never pulled the trigger on buying it. I'm hoping that it'll come back for you because that plant is pretty expensive. Which kind did you get and how long have you had it?

It is the narrow leaf one, purchased sometime late September early October. I hope it recovers too, however I'm not holding my breath. A presumed terrestrial moss that I placed in the tank is holding much way better in comparison and has been in the tank longer.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Thanks very much Jennie, all that needs to be done is to add a few more Anubias whites, for the ludwigia white to fill out and a bit more. Otherwise I have a battle with thread algae to carry out.
I love the way you've balanced the light, dark and mid-color plants throughout. That white Anubias is gorgeous! Is the rock that you used scoria? I *think* my husband is giving me a Mr. Aqua 12 long for the holidays... if so, I'm going to have to think about lava rock. It provides such a great foothold for plants and a really nice place for the biological filtering bacteria to live.

Thread algae is a PITA. I have it in my shrimp tank right now. I had to tear the whole thing down and peroxide everything. It still came back in some spots, so I've been manually removing it. I will probably hit the more difficult spots with H2O2 this weekend.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I love the way you've balanced the light, dark and mid-color plants throughout. That white Anubias is gorgeous! Is the rock that you used scoria? I *think* my husband is giving me a Mr. Aqua 12 long for the holidays... if so, I'm going to have to think about lava rock. It provides such a great foothold for plants and a really nice place for the biological filtering bacteria to live.

Thread algae is a PITA. I have it in my shrimp tank right now. I had to tear the whole thing down and peroxide everything. It still came back in some spots, so I've been manually removing it. I will probably hit the more difficult spots with H2O2 this weekend.
Indeed, the hardscape was made using scoria, a bit of gravel too, to help with the erosion effect. the anubias is indeed a stunner but comes with a hefty price tag. Thing about lava rock is that it is unfortunately a mixed bag when it comes to character and quality. i love finding those gnarled textures but more often than not, they are few and far in between. most large lava rock pieces found in petstores have holes drilled in them, which im not a fan of. however, if you can find some pieces with real character and they happily match together to form an awesome landscape, the search is very well worth it.

For the thread algae, i've introduced a couple of SAEs into the tank, only temporarily until they've done their job. they usually love eating the stuff like spaghetti but they've been downing bloodworms as of late, i wonder if that makes them change their preferences. regardless, im keeping them in the tank for a week or so to see if there are any changes.

i also decided to go with cpds....

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Indeed, the hardscape was made using scoria, a bit of gravel too, to help with the erosion effect. the anubias is indeed a stunner but comes with a hefty price tag. Thing about lava rock is that it is unfortunately a mixed bag when it comes to character and quality. i love finding those gnarled textures but more often than not, they are few and far in between. most large lava rock pieces found in petstores have holes drilled in them, which im not a fan of. however, if you can find some pieces with real character and they happily match together to form an awesome landscape, the search is very well worth it.
I love scoria. I may have to go hiking up in the hills near my parents' house. They live in a big volcanic valley in Northern New Mexico. It's funny -- I used to always pass it by in favor of the glossy chunks of jasper and obsidian, but now I've got scoria in my sights. ;-) There are no rocks to speak of here in Denver. I guess if I went up towards the foothills I might find something, but probably not volcanic rock. We're on the far eastern side -- almost on the plains. The summer air is pierced by tornado sirens a few times a week -- that gives you an idea of how far out from the mountains we are. :-/

For the thread algae, i've introduced a couple of SAEs into the tank, only temporarily until they've done their job. they usually love eating the stuff like spaghetti but they've been downing bloodworms as of late, i wonder if that makes them change their preferences. regardless, im keeping them in the tank for a week or so to see if there are any changes.

i also decided to go with cpds....
Do SAEs decimate shrimp populations? I have no experience with them. I wouldn't mind letting them go to town on this shrimp tank. It doesn't have a lot of algae, so they could probably clean it up pretty quickly. It's my tangerine tiger tank, though, and I'm scared they will do bad things to my TT's. I'm finally getting the shrimp back to breeding.

I think CPD's will look brilliant in your tank! Their oranges aren't too bright, and then their trouty little spots should play off the white plants really beautifully. I can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I love scoria. I may have to go hiking up in the hills near my parents' house. They live in a big volcanic valley in Northern New Mexico. It's funny -- I used to always pass it by in favor of the glossy chunks of jasper and obsidian, but now I've got scoria in my sights. ;-) There are no rocks to speak of here in Denver. I guess if I went up towards the foothills I might find something, but probably not volcanic rock. We're on the far eastern side -- almost on the plains. The summer air is pierced by tornado sirens a few times a week -- that gives you an idea of how far out from the mountains we are. :-/

Do SAEs decimate shrimp populations? I have no experience with them. I wouldn't mind letting them go to town on this shrimp tank. It doesn't have a lot of algae, so they could probably clean it up pretty quickly. It's my tangerine tiger tank, though, and I'm scared they will do bad things to my TT's. I'm finally getting the shrimp back to breeding.

I think CPD's will look brilliant in your tank! Their oranges aren't too bright, and then their trouty little spots should play off the white plants really beautifully. I can't wait to see pics!
you might be able to get some good pieces from landscape vendors, or from a generous neighbor (how i happened to get mine--she had a whole bunch just lining the front of her area, and was in process of getting her front lawn revamped. i asked if i could take a few pieces since she was throwing them out and she told me i could help

SAEs and shrimp i cannot guarantee compatibility. i wouldnt say they would decimate shrimp populations, but ive seen photos and videos of them munching on cherries. sorry that they cant be an option for you. i've wanted to do shrimp as well, but couldnt decide on what to focus on. i love the black king kongs/pandas (is that what they're called? the ones that look like red wine bees but black) or the orange eyed black tigers. problem is that they would pull apart the hardscape, one granule at a time....

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
you might be able to get some good pieces from landscape vendors, or from a generous neighbor (how i happened to get mine--she had a whole bunch just lining the front of her area, and was in process of getting her front lawn revamped. i asked if i could take a few pieces since she was throwing them out and she told me i could help
I might see what kind of landscape suppliers we have around here. That's awesome that your neighbor was just getting rid of the scoria! My friend gave me a bag of Aquasolum he brought back from Seattle. I'm super stoked to use it.

SAEs and shrimp i cannot guarantee compatibility. i wouldnt say they would decimate shrimp populations, but ive seen photos and videos of them munching on cherries. sorry that they cant be an option for you. i've wanted to do shrimp as well, but couldnt decide on what to focus on. i love the black king kongs/pandas (is that what they're called? the ones that look like red wine bees but black) or the orange eyed black tigers. problem is that they would pull apart the hardscape, one granule at a time....
I'll have to figure out how to get rid of this algae. I think I may start dosing with Flourish. It's not terrible anymore, but I don't want it to take a stronghold.

Oh, those pandas are really cool! I had a couple of OEBT's that came with my TT's. They're super neat. I really enjoyed them. I think I had two of the same sex -- they never reproduced. :-(

·
Registered
312 Posts
Amphiron, your tank is a living masterpiece! The combinations of textures and subtle color variations among the mosses, buces, and anubias captures the diversity of a wild moss bank to perfection. If you're not happy with the tank yet, I can't wait to see what you settle on in the future.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Amphiron, your tank is a living masterpiece! The combinations of textures and subtle color variations among the mosses, buces, and anubias captures the diversity of a wild moss bank to perfection. If you're not happy with the tank yet, I can't wait to see what you settle on in the future.
thanks very much dpod! practice makes perfect. im not completely happy with it, but its more of a waiting game now.

some updates: decided to whack the L 'white' stem and did some horizontal planting (forgot the terminology here...) removed some downoi crowns and placed them among the front.

hair algae looks like its starting to recede but still not eradicated. SAEs just taking their time it looks like.

decided im not liking the hairgrass. it was supposed to be e 'belem' but whether or not it is doesnt matter anymore, the grass grows way too long and is destroying the sense of scale. luckily i have a placement-- going to try out C. parva 'mini' offered by shaman. should be much more promising.

decided to also take out the aridarum narrows-- turns out the plant was just adjusting--rhizome still healthy and actually producing multiple growth points, but not making enough to contribute to the scape. will probably just allow the H. pinnatifida to take over that area of the scape.

also, i need to replace the mini x-mas moss at the edge of the cave with mini pelia. i think i have enough to do that now--question is how to make it stick... go back into emersed growing for a few weeks again? :p

i'll post pics when i have time.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
My 'belem' does the same thing. (I've tried stuff bought recently and some of the original 'belem' to come to the hobby via AFA back in 2008 or so.) Certain portions will behave somewhat, but there will be enough of the tall blades to throw off the effect I always hope to achieve. Low or high light, I've never got that it to behave as advertised.

Recumbent. Is that the word you were searching for?

If you do go emersed for the MP, I wonder if that will help fight the hair algae. I've been wanting to try that myself to see if it has any effect on algae.

Post picts when you get a chance.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
My 'belem' does the same thing. (I've tried stuff bought recently and some of the original 'belem' to come to the hobby via AFA back in 2008 or so.) Certain portions will behave somewhat, but there will be enough of the tall blades to throw off the effect I always hope to achieve. Low or high light, I've never got that it to behave as advertised.

Recumbent. Is that the word you were searching for?

If you do go emersed for the MP, I wonder if that will help fight the hair algae. I've been wanting to try that myself to see if it has any effect on algae.

Post picts when you get a chance.
Almost, recumbent works. i'll take it. ;)
yep-- i think it's time E 'belem' and i part ways. im done with it. grass is growing way too slow and way too big. i wonder how afa gets theirs so low? constant trimming? their tanks were the reason why i wanted to grow it in the first place.

as far as algae fighting, it works well enough if the humidity isnt too high to the point where it keeps the algae hydrated. usually, it does not work well since lava rock wicks water via capillary action. can even trace the algae too-- came from some fissidens. should have peroxide bathed that... thought emersed growing would have had it covered but i guess not.

and pics...
the good:

the bad:

pesky algae

to be replaced with mini pelia and maybe fissidens

the ugly:

this corner needs some work.

the hacked L.'white' laying on its side, with a dash of thread algae just to get the eye twiching.

but overall:

not too shabby.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts