The Planted Tank Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
so i did it. took out all the java fern and threw in hygrophilla pinnatifida. and semi-regretting it---only because the pinnatifida hasnt grown out and the tank's backside looks exposed (pun intended). some tufts of moss are starting to fall off the lava rock because the water flow (directly under the powerhead) was too intense. once the pinnatifida has rooted, i am going to drain the tank, for the next two weeks or so, and use the moss/yogurt trick to get more moss spread (and that it will stick this time!)

its gonna get ugly before it gets better.....
im not gonna take any pictures for a bit. primary excuse is because the water looks ridiculously cloudy from a water change, but 2--my tank's heinny is hideous. maybe in a day or two, i'll feel better.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
it's kicking it in my 20 gallon long. might sell it... or recycle it for another tank.
i also use it in my betta spawning tanks.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Well if you need to get rid of some needle leaf... ;)
noted. ask me in a week or two when im done with them. arranging a couple of spawning tanks.

glass pipes havent arrived yet. :(
hygrophilla likes to uproot and float due to current. :p

but i got some lamandau purple and might have wet my plants i mean my pants....
this plant is pretty difficult to photograph. had to do some major color balance rework to match IRL.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
im still alive...here's a progress pic.
hygrophilla pinnatifida has finally rooted. hoping for some nice bushy growth.

thinking of adding a bit more mini pellia and fissidens fontanus. that's all for now.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
amphirion... you and your aesthetics!!!!
FRIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEND! Long time no see! Glad to see you on another part of the web!
@Aquascapejackson - thanks very much! it will be a time before more of the negative space gets filled out. slowly but surely. the ludwigia white is pacing decently.

edit: got some more pics for you. i've been recently distracted with betta spawns. trying to start a ctpk line from scratch. just lost an entire batch of fry this morning. not very happy about that...

but i know you guys dont care for that ;)

patience is.... i have one of this. but i need twenty...

it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

thinking in textures...

i really need to get some more coral moss...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
still alive, nothing really to look at right now. things filling out. 'white' finally decided to branch for me.

it looks hideous right now, but im sure it will get better.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
lol... this thread quickly devolved into a let's just watch a stem grow. sorry for the segue. but the plant is so darn interesting-- for example, apparently the white mutation is unstable as i recently found out:

it's still really pretty:

any ideas as to the original identity?

but back to the pics that you really care about ;)

tank as a whole, bear with the L. 'white' i will eventually get to replant it and replace the downoi with it. but for now, it's pretty obtrusive.

as a matter of fact, let's just look at the right side of the tank for now.

the tank seems to look its best when viewed from a slightly higher angle...

thanks again for taking a look.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Love this tank, amp. I've been waiting for FTS for a while, but figured your fascination for white stem plants would fade just enough to give us what we want.

BTW, you're probably sitting on about five hundred dollars worth of MP there.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Love this tank, amp. I've been waiting for FTS for a while, but figured your fascination for white stem plants would fade just enough to give us what we want.

BTW, you're probably sitting on about five hundred dollars worth of MP there.

Hahhaa. Sorry mate, when you spend $15 on a single frail stem on a plant you have no info about you tend to be maybe a tiny bit invested?

I'm glad too that the tank is finally taking off. H. pinnatifida is still under heavy pruning until it grows the way how I want it to grow.

As for $500, I wish... Hahhaa. Maybe somewhere in the $150 mark. I should keep track of these things. I wish the Anubias white would fork in the rhizome. That top right corner could use a little white.

what a gorgeous, unique tank! I love how it's evolved. Any more thoughts on adding fauna?

CPDs are a very good candidate for me, probably my #1 choice right now. I don't know of many flashy nanos. Already tried the boraras species so I'm done with those for now. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. The only qualifier is that they can deal with flow. I originally wanted to do some Bettas from the coccina complex but decided not to.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts