The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
thanks a lot @Tihsho, mind if i pick your brain a bit more? what is the difference between a lily and a violet pipe?

oh nevermind--- the price tag.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
No no, don't let the price tag fool you. I spent a lot of time searching and talking to people to find options. I ordered one set of pipes and broke an intake before I could even use it... It was my fault, but luckily it was a $30 set and not a $50 intake.

If you're willing to spend a lot of time measuring and know the space you've got to work with (as your tank is already setup) you can find a lot of options. If you have the budget I'd STRONGLY recommend Cal Aqua pipes. They are not ADA prices, but seem to be top quality from the builds I've seen with them. If you're looking for that JDM look and don't mind shelling out a bit more than the Cal Aqua price, then go ADA all the way. Until then look into the Chinese options which are made in the same location as ADA to the same spec, such as VIV and TNA.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
That's an awesome video! If I were a puffer, that'd be me.

In addition to the pipes, I'd suggest a bigger filter. EHEIM 2211 or even the 2213. I ran a 2213 on a Mini-L, six gallons, and the flow was perfect.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
@Tihsho: thanks very much! looks like great minds think alike. i ended up purchasing this: CAL AQUA Fluxus Filter Pipes | Nano | Green Leaf Aquariums, though i was very much tempted to purchase this: CAL AQUA Efflux Pipe 13mm | Green Leaf Aquariums
That pipe you bought is my next in line pipe order if this one in the mail doesn't work out or fit. I figured I'd give another brand/model a chance before spending $100+ on two pieces of glass...

All I can say is... Mad jelly...

·
Registered
644 Posts
@Tihsho: thanks very much! looks like great minds think alike. i ended up purchasing this: CAL AQUA Fluxus Filter Pipes | Nano | Green Leaf Aquariums, though i was very much tempted to purchase this: CAL AQUA Efflux Pipe 13mm | Green Leaf Aquariums

@Ugly Genius: im running the Finnex px 360.

i want a current that makes my fish do something like this.
I think you made a good choice. Their staff recommended the nano for my 45p so I think you're fine :)

I do want to eventually upgrade to these pipes as well.

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks everyone for affirming that I made the right choice! A bit nervous and buying the glass was a bit on the fly. I saw the possibility of using the F2 for a couple reasons: the downward orientation of the glass--id imagine that there would be a ton of downward flow. Also, almost all the plants showcased in the tank come from rheophytic environments that are filled with fast pacing currents. And increase in flow would pin many of these plants and mosses as close to the hard scape to prevent themselves from being caught and pulled into the current.

Then again, I can go for a stronger filter...and Eheim 2213 would definitely do it. Thanks for the suggestion Ugly! One step at a time. Maybe in a month or two.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I second the 2213. I have it on a 6-gallon and it's def not overkill for a fully-stocked tank. Your tank looks like it's in a great place though, so I wouldn't rush to change anything.

For the lily pipes placement, I'd do the left or right side. I have mine right in the middle, facing the front of the tank, because I have a Fluval Edge and I have no choice. If I did, I'd put it on the ends because that would give the best flow.

I also like the hygrophilla pinnatifida you have. You mentioned that you wanted to replace the trident w/ more of it. Since it has those unique leaves, I think it's kind of cool that you have just that one place on the left for it. It's smallish size makes it more unique in the tank IMO.

What about the background do you feel looks unnatural?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I second the 2213. I have it on a 6-gallon and it's def not overkill for a fully-stocked tank. Your tank looks like it's in a great place though, so I wouldn't rush to change anything.

For the lily pipes placement, I'd do the left or right side. I have mine right in the middle, facing the front of the tank, because I have a Fluval Edge and I have no choice. If I did, I'd put it on the ends because that would give the best flow.

I also like the hygrophilla pinnatifida you have. You mentioned that you wanted to replace the trident w/ more of it. Since it has those unique leaves, I think it's kind of cool that you have just that one place on the left for it. It's smallish size makes it more unique in the tank IMO.

What about the background do you feel looks unnatural?

Thanks for the second recommendation. I'll hold off on the filter for now.

The background in which sense? Unnatural in terms of how it is filled out? If so, then yes. But I also believe it's because the plants in the background aren't fully grown out. Once when it fills out things should look better.

I see your point with only keeping hygrophilla pinnatifida on the left hand side, but I also want consistency and uniformity throughout the tank as i believe it gives the tank a more natural feel. I'll keep the trident around to see if it can fulfill its potential while I'm growing out more pinnatifida. Thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The background in which sense? Unnatural in terms of how it is filled out? If so, then yes. But I also believe it's because the plants in the background aren't fully grown out. Once when it fills out things should look better.
Sorry, I probably should've added in a quote or reference. But I was referring to Post 32 of this thread. I guess my question is: how does it look unnatural?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Sorry, I probably should've added in a quote or reference. But I was referring to Post 32 of this thread. I guess my question is: how does it look unnatural?

Ah. Gotcha. One thing about me---I'm a perfectionist (or anal retentive). For a tank to appear as natural, the placement and arrangement of plants must be distributed according to form (or in this case, species). Whether it is an African fynbos, a Californian chaparral, an Australian reef, or Amazon rainforest, you will most likely not see species in a randomized layout. What is more likely is that you will see like species alongside conspecifics, looking like colonies rather than individuals standing alone. The only reason why individuals would stand alone is due to progression into a new region, but these individuals would not be too far from the source colony. I try to arrange my plants very much in this manner.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
As an appreciation of thanks for helping me choose my lily pipes and eventually a new filter, here are a few more pics:

hygrophilla pinnatifida beginning to darken up.

cluster of plants #1

mini fissidens behaving like a cowlick. going against the grain of all the other growth...

B. mini catherine and A. petite kicking it.

L. sp white taking on a light pink tone

tank as a whole.

planning on adding a few more dark buces to provide more contrast.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts