The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Awesome! Thanks so much. They're having a sale at the moment on tanks, and I was looking to get a bigger one, so when I'm there I'll have to check that out!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@Mumford, seriously. I originally intended it to take up most of the left hand side to provide contrast with the Anubias, buce, bolbitis, moss area, but I am too impatient to get that entire area filled up through one stem so I settled for downoi instead (downoi has found itself to variegate over time so I'm hoping for that).

Bought some needle leaf Java fern to fill up the left as well as bucephalandra blue hades for a dark backdrop for the forefront plants.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Amp, I have no experience with buce. Have you grown any? If so, what is your experience with them? I'm thinking of one for my tank, but I have done very little research on them.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Amp, I have no experience with buce. Have you grown any? If so, what is your experience with them? I'm thinking of one for my tank, but I have done very little research on them.

Yes. The short answer to your question would be, it is the rich man's anubias. Grows insanely easy, a good current will perk them up though not a necessity. Could be low tech but does so much better with co2. Don't bury the rhizome, etc etc etc.The price tag is due to its recent discovery. Though easy to grow, it's growth rate is relatively slow.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
so, i performed a water change and managed to remove the amanos from the tank. ripping too much stuff off the rocks before they had a chance to establish themselves. keeping them in was doing more harm than the algae growing in the tank.

nothing much really to report, will take a full pic of the tank one when the other plants from the mail come in. until then---some notables...

i have no idea what this moss is called--it was growing with my pinguiculas and i said to myself "eh, why not" and tossed it into the tank. it has been submerged for 3-4 weeks now and hasnt shown any signs of dying just yet. hopefully it will even spread. not holding my breath since it might likely die, but one could hope. i wish to be pleasantly surprised.

Caloglossa cf. beccarii-- went through an intense color and texture change recently--just noticed it today. cant tell if it is a good sign or a bad sign but wow! the color pops!

thats all for now folks!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
update on the tank...
well, i found a bumble bee nerite at petsmart yesterday. only one--would have picked up 3 but no others to be found.

someone shared with me a way to propagate Ludwigia 'white' it involves lowering the level quite significantly so that the plant readily touches the surface, in which case it starts to branch. good idea---but i am sure my java fern will throw a hissy fit. will probably let the stem reach an additional inch before i attempt anything.

no plants from the mail yet. first batch likely to come tomorrow, and another after that. tank should be fully planted by saturday.
no full tank shots until then, but for now, here are some pictures to keep your interest.

as always, thanks for stopping by and taking a look.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
they're merging well for the most part as you might be able to tell. moss, particularly the fissidens species and the pellia still need to fill out significantly.

amanos were just being amanos. uprooting plants before they could establish themselves. altering the terrain and involuntarily creating mudslides and eroding cliff faces by pulling them apart, granule by granule.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
so a minor setback--the mini java fern narrow leaf turned out not to be as mini as i hoped. so scratch that idea. decided to go with hygrophilla pinnatifida. this is my go to plant and i love everything about it---except it grows way too effin big. so here's my plan--im gonna prune the Ishtar out of it. prune it constantly so that it continuously makes shoots and so the leaves stay compact. if that area is successful, i might take out all the java fern trident and replace it with h. pinnatifida as i prefer that texture.

once the plant has grown tall enough, im going to snip it almost near the bottom to encourage off shoots. such a wonderful plant. you might have noticed the undersides have a metallic sheen underneath them. this actually allows them to reflect off light reflected from the anubias, creating that super wicked kewl iridescent green glow.

ludwigia white is making some progress. it's grown leaves and maybe half a cm since the last picture! grow faster!

here's the whole tank as promised. some things that need to be fixed--the back. i need to re-position the java fern, buce skeleton kings, and aridarums, so that they appear more natural. i could let the growth naturally do it, but that would take months, and patient as i am, that's too long to deal with. need more spread work with moss on the rock on the right. will probably use christmas moss for that.

tanks again.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks UG! Let's see if my theory executed well in practice!

@bereninga, the anubias turn green as the leaves grow older. However bombarding them with light supposedly keeps them white longer. As for the white ludwigia, i was a bit hesitant initially purchasing it because of the chance the color was due to nutrient deficiency. I am relieved that it isn't the case.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I just picked up some hygro pinni as well and plan to attempt the same. Love the smaller leaves but the large ones will take over my tank if I let them.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
so im facing a challenge, and i need an adult. tank is not getting enough flow. detritus is starting to accumulate on the leaves and i dont like it. anyone have any ideas as to what to use to help generate flow? most power heads are too bulky and obtrusive. for reference, i have a koralia nano and it is way too bulky for this tank.

·
Registered
644 Posts
so im facing a challenge, and i need an adult. tank is not getting enough flow. detritus is starting to accumulate on the leaves and i dont like it. anyone have any ideas as to what to use to help generate flow? most power heads are too bulky and obtrusive. for reference, i have a koralia nano and it is way too bulky for this tank.
two words

canister filter

21 - 40 of 96 Posts