The Planted Tank Forum banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Are you going to get a cave and dither fish? Pencils perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once I rearrange the branches I plan to make some areas more dense with leaf litter and pods. I'll have some natural hides in those places. Definitely going to have something in there. Haven't decided between hatchets, pencils, or some sort of tetra. Leaning towards hatchets though.
even just with some sand, few plants and a stick you can make your tank look amazing !
Thanks! If I can create what I envision it's going to be pretty cool. I'm excited to finally do this its something I've wanted to do for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Alright. Leaf litter in. Water stained with tannins. Picked up 12 marbled hatchet fish today and a pair of agassizii apistos. One fire red female and one fire gold male. I'm not sure if the fire gold is definitely a male or not. Having a hard time deciding. Here's a few pics of the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Ugh, well after a lot of photos and back and forth on an apistogramma FB group, we're certain it's an old female and not a young male.

So I have an order in for an Agassizzii double red pair now. I'll end up with 3 females, 1 male. I definitely have a lot of hides in the leaf litter, but may arrange things to make it better suited for that kind of harem. I have a feeling the old female may end up getting bullied to death, but we'll see.

The fire red female is loving the tank. I'm real happy with how it turned out. Nice low maintenance tank, just 25% WC each week with mostly RODI, some tap to get TDS around 50.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great looking tank! You should consider putting some breeding pairs of other apistos such as macmasteri or other dwarf's such like Laetacara curviceps in the tank. I had a heavily planted 75 gallon with several pairs of appisto's, L. curviceps and many dither fish and it was very cool to watch the social interactions within the tank; there will also be occasional chasing and bulling but as long as there are other fish to diffuse the flare ups and lots of hiding places you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Looking good! Did you ever get the river rocks you were looking for in another thread?
Thanks LGD! No, but Tannin Aquatics can supply them if I ever go that route. Had a thought to do a clearwater biotope and would have used them in that case.

Great looking tank! You should consider putting some breeding pairs of other apistos such as macmasteri or other dwarf's such like Laetacara curviceps in the tank. I had a heavily planted 75 gallon with several pairs of appisto's, L. curviceps and many dither fish and it was very cool to watch the social interactions within the tank; there will also be occasional chasing and bulling but as long as there are other fish to diffuse the flare ups and lots of hiding places you'll be fine.

I'm not sure that would work in my size tank. It's only a 3ft and with 1 male/3 female agassizzii I think I'm pushing the limits already. I'm adding more litter to make some spots piled higher though so I'll definitely have the spots for hiding. That and all of the seed pods they really seem to love going into.

Looks great! Any other stocking plans? You probably have the space for it. Maybe some Neons or Cardinals!
Thank you! Yeah after stocking it now with what I have, I do have space. I'm not sure what I want though. I miss cories, but I don't want the apistos to have to defend against them when they spawn, really want to try to grow out some fry. Cardinals I may think about doing since the hatchets really only stay at the surface it may be nice to have Cardinals go around in the middle level. I love flame tetras also. Have thoughts to add some sort of Loricariidae but again, they are egg eaters.....tough call.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)
Sub'd. Im loving the evolutions this tank is going through, even over a long period of time lol.
Thanks, haha yeah this one has certainly gone through many forms while I learned everything.

Nannostomus sp!!! Not egg eaters and will take up the middle of the aquarium just not as colorful as the fish you mentioned.

Excellent recommendation! Forgot about them and they are on my short list, in fact my top now. I really want to keep it to very authentic and compatible fish. I just will have to order these guys again and pay for shipping, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks, haha yeah this one has certainly gone through many forms while I learned everything.
Believe me mine does the same. Everytime I learn something new I seem to want to impliment it or if I see something cool I want to add it. I have never been one to have a tank and leave it even for 6 months lol Planted tanks are probably not a hobby I should be attempting haha

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Believe me mine does the same. Everytime I learn something new I seem to want to impliment it or if I see something cool I want to add it. I have never been one to have a tank and leave it even for 6 months lol Planted tanks are probably not a hobby I should be attempting haha
Lol, my wife and friends think I'm nuts with all the iterations I've gone through. I still have a smaller Spec V with plants and a Caridina shrimp tank full of plants, but with 1 toddler and a new baby coming I don't have time to maintain a larger planted tank so this seemed like the perfect time to do this to my tank.

Keep changing it up, I felt like I learned so much with all the changing and tinkering I did.

Great looking tank makes me want to go to the store and get another tank .
Do it! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lol, my wife and friends think I'm nuts with all the iterations I've gone through. I still have a smaller Spec V with plants and a Caridina shrimp tank full of plants, but with 1 toddler and a new baby coming I don't have time to maintain a larger planted tank so this seemed like the perfect time to do this to my tank.

Keep changing it up, I felt like I learned so much with all the changing and tinkering I did.

Do it! :)
Congrats! I have a 3yr old and a 1yr old and my tank has become my Zen spot in the chaos that is taking care of kids haha I had to start a 1 gallon at work just so I have something to mellow me out at work too lol Ive had it on my desk 3 weeks and already I have changed it twice haha Oh and the new Manzanita branch for it came in today so It will be getting changed up again! I just tell my wife "Hey I could be wasting this money on things like drugs or our kids but I figure this is a worthwhile investment!"

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Congrats! I have a 3yr old and a 1yr old and my tank has become my Zen spot in the chaos that is taking care of kids haha I had to start a 1 gallon at work just so I have something to mellow me out at work too lol Ive had it on my desk 3 weeks and already I have changed it twice haha Oh and the new Manzanita branch for it came in today so It will be getting changed up again! I just tell my wife "Hey I could be wasting this money on things like drugs or our kids but I figure this is a worthwhile investment!"
Sounds a lot like me haha. My girl will be 3 when my new baby is 1. My fish room is my zen spot too lol. Convinced my wife to let me use the 4th bedroom in our new house for a 4 foot rack and this 3 foot tank. I'm throwing a day bed in there soon so there is something to sleep on for guests (my mother in law...ugh.)

I like the 'wasting money on drugs or KIDS' comment haha. I go with hookers, strippers and coke when I talk to my wife about it. She's pretty good with letting me do my thing though.

I haven't set up a tank at work though, just too busy here and the thought of water changes at my desk sounds tough.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds a lot like me haha. My girl will be 3 when my new baby is 1. My fish room is my zen spot too lol. Convinced my wife to let me use the 4th bedroom in our new house for a 4 foot rack and this 3 foot tank. I'm throwing a day bed in there soon so there is something to sleep on for guests (my mother in law...ugh.)

I like the 'wasting money on drugs or KIDS' comment haha. I go with hookers, strippers and coke when I talk to my wife about it. She's pretty good with letting me do my thing though.

I haven't set up a tank at work though, just too busy here and the thought of water changes at my desk sounds tough.
I have become a ninja master at water changes at work. I have a 20oz plastic water bottle and air hose. I just slip the air hose in and siphon the water out into the bottle and toss the bottle, bring in a new bottle of water to "drink" and wham.. no one is the wiser. The only problem is I do catch myself staring at it midway through typing emails or job quotes lol

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Nannostomus sp!!! Not egg eaters and will take up the middle of the aquarium just not as colorful as the fish you mentioned.

I heavily cosign this, Pencils would be a really good choice for dithers for the Apistos, as well as a nice schooling fish to add more interest.
Just choose the correct species, as there is at least one I know of which will mostly stick to the top of the tank like the Hatchets, Nannostomus eques if I'm not mistaken. I think the rest are more midwater though.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
I heavily cosign this, Pencils would be a really good choice for dithers for the Apistos, as well as a nice schooling fish to add more interest.
Just choose the correct species, as there is at least one I know of which will mostly stick to the top of the tank like the Hatchets, Nannostomus eques if I'm not mistaken. I think the rest are more midwater though.
Local store to me has a few types of pencils so I think I'm going to go this route. I lost 5 of my marbled hatchets I got last weekend....no idea why. Water parameters are fine, so I'm chalking it up to bad stock.

Having problems with the fire red female agassizii in my tank, she's bullying everyone including the male. I think I'm going to try to re-home her this weekend.

*edit* re-homing her tonight. She's nuts. Don't want to risk any deaths.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
So the problem child of the tank was sent packing last night and things are much better. The male is now the boss, the two other females are happy and have taken their sides.

The tank itself is like blood stained looking now. Super dark. I have so much biofilm growing on the branches, it's kinda amazing. The tank has an appearance of being around for years.

Some pics for the update.

Here is the young male

And I kinda love this pic. If I was shown this not in context of an aquarium I'd think it was the wild.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts