The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be starting a 11.4g Mr. Aqua very soon which will soon be in my signature. I'm about 70% sure that I wanna go with crypts since theyre low maintenance, easy, cool, and pretty much care free. So my original option of 36W Archaea PC lamps will be too much. So I was wondering if these will be enough: http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_74&products_id=666
If not maybe the 45cm ones?

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just bought the 45cm Archaea LED fixture for my 10g rimless. I'll let you know if it works for plants. I saw a small one on a nicely planted tank at Neptune Aquatics. I love the look. It says it's for plants and since I'm going Low Tech I'm gonna try it.
Well it's from ADA so it has to be for plants!!! Lol yes please do share you experience.

Currently debating between the 27W or the 45cm LED

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Did you consider this? http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Do...36R4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315951169&sr=8-2

I have that light on my Mr Aqua 11.4g long tank, it fits really nicely, and is more than enough light. I have mine about 8 inches above the tank, and can grow HC, UG and many other high light plants (at the moment, I raised the light even more, and lowered the photo period, because I'm using the tank for CRS, and not too many plants, no co2, but I would recommend the Marineland double bright,.. it's beautiful.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
the archaea led's will indeed grow plants, esp. crypts. I've tested it, it is very low light but enough for crypts. Yes they aren't as efficient as the 3 watt crees but if you're only doing crypts you'll be fine. the only issue is if in the future you want to do some plants that require more light you may find that you don't have enough.

You'll probably want to go with the largest one though to get enough spread.

Here's a tank I set up at my lfs, it uses the medium one, uh 30 cm and it barely reaches the end of this 6 gal tank. This was when the tank had been running for about a week, it's super over grown now, even has stems in the back

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.