The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
O.K. so I finally got something started up again. As I put my 2-footer on hold, I got this little guy just to give myself a kickstart since it's quick and easy to get going.

This will be a pretty simple Iwagumi type setup. I do plan on using co2 and medium light. Some of the equipment and hardscape I already had. The light was low light on my Mini S (3.5G) so here I'm expecting medium light. The Lava Rocks I've used in different scapes before, so are being reused here.

Date Filled: 4/9/16

Equipment

Aquarium – Mr Aqua 1.5G Rimless
Light - Up Aqua Pro LED 25cm
Filtration – Azoo Mignon 60
Co2 - Macro Aqua 92G Disposable

Scape Materials

Hardscape – Black Lava Rock
Substrate – Pool Filter Sand

Plant List - Anubias Petite, Eleocharis parvula, Eleocharis sp.

Current Pic - 9/19/16

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pic with Hairgrass, Anubias and moss.

I also ended up buying an Macro Aqua Disposable co2 system since I wanted something really small that will sit on the desktop and it was too inexpensive not to try. I don't know how dependable it will be but so far it's running fine. Comes complete with combination diffuser/bubble counter. It's also usable with paintball cylinder via adapter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Pic with Hairgrass, Anubias and moss.

I also ended up buying an Macro Aqua Disposable co2 system since I wanted something really small that will sit on the desktop and it was too inexpensive not to try. I don't know how dependable it will be but so far it's running fine. Comes complete with combination diffuser/bubble counter. It's also usable with paintball cylinder via adapter.

This is so lovely :) I'm not going to lie I stared at this picture and got lost in it for a time. How did you take such a clear photo?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dope tank! I forgot you said you were gonna set one up. Well done! That hairgrass looks giant in this tank. They add an elegant softness to the look.
Thanks much. You know I wasn't even sure which hairgrass I had from a previous setup. I was going to trim, but I'm going let it grow wild for a while and see what happens, but I'm starting to think it's Eleocharis sp. which grows quite tall.

This is so lovely :) I'm not going to lie I stared at this picture and got lost in it for a time. How did you take such a clear photo?
Thank you. Most of the time for full tank shots, if you shut all the lights in the room and steady the camera on something you can get off a pretty good shot with just the aquarium lights.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Never heard of this system, but I'd be interested to see how that works out. Seems legit.

Do you have any plans for fish or shrimp?

Where did you get that light btw? It looks really good. Is that the actual color temp? I'm using the Finnex Stingray, which is too blue for my taste but I have too much crap that I don't want to get a new one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks much. You know I wasn't even sure which hairgrass I had from a previous setup. I was going to trim, but I'm going let it grow wild for a while and see what happens, but I'm starting to think it's Eleocharis sp. which grows quite tall.

Thank you. Most of the time for full tank shots, if you shut all the lights in the room and steady the camera on something you can get off a pretty good shot with just the aquarium lights.
Ill keep that in mind!

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Never heard of this system, but I'd be interested to see how that works out. Seems legit.

Do you have any plans for fish or shrimp?

Where did you get that light btw? It looks really good. Is that the actual color temp? I'm using the Finnex Stingray, which is too blue for my taste but I have too much crap that I don't want to get a new one.
The light was popular several years ago. I think even AquaForest and some other retailers sold these under different branding. I think the Azoo Flex and some other nano lights replaced them. The color temp is 8000k and yes I didn't do much with the pic. I'm thinking a few shrimp, probably too small for any real fish.

Here's a pic with all the equipment including the little co2 setup.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nice!

How's the disposable setup so far? How'd you get the anubias on the rocks like that? Also, did you add root tabs for the hairgrass? One more question: what's your favorite color? lol

I keep thinking those rocks are huge, but they're probably just the size of your palm or a computer mouse.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ AquaLabAquaria - Thanks much!

@ bereninga - So far so good, I should really be using a drop checker, since I might be wasting co2 on such a small setup. I usually am able to eyeball the bubbles coming off the diffuser, but this setup is only 1.5G (as you know) without any hardscape. The Anubias is glued on. The big rock is about the size of my iphone 6 and my favorite color is grey/charcoal like my lava rocks, LOL.

On the sand, normally I would just use the sand alone, but since it was pretty deep I had some ADA Powersand sitting around so I figured it would create some air in the substrate and if it provided some nutrients the more the better.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.