The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to move 8 wild altums into their new large home. They are currently in a 55 (quarantine tank) and moving to a 180 tall (4x2x3). I'm petrified since they spook so easily. They've gotten quite large, 7-8" tall and I'm not sure how to do it without them hurting themselves. One spooks and they all panic. Anyone have any suggestions? I've gotten this far:

1. remove everything they could hurt themselves on, driftwood, heater, intake tubes
2. drain tank water down to about 6"
3. dim the light in the new tank

Now I"m stuck. As soon as they see the net in my hand all hell is going to break loose. I don't even want to net them but I can't think of another way.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I'm getting ready to move 8 wild altums into their new large home. They are currently in a 55 (quarantine tank) and moving to a 180 tall (4x2x3). I'm petrified since they spook so easily. They've gotten quite large, 7-8" tall and I'm not sure how to do it without them hurting themselves. One spooks and they all panic. Anyone have any suggestions? I've gotten this far:

1. remove everything they could hurt themselves on, driftwood, heater, intake tubes
2. drain tank water down to about 6"
3. dim the light in the new tank

Now I"m stuck. As soon as they see the net in my hand all hell is going to break loose. I don't even want to net them but I can't think of another way.
Just got to do it, do it quickly but calmly. Use a BIG net so they don't get their fins crimped and put a temporary top on the new tank (even if its just some plastic wrap - assuming there isn't a permanent top) so they don't jump out in the first few days as they adjust.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Large fine mesh net and corral them into a corner, the quicker you can get it done the better (within reason) and give them a good couple of days with dim lights/ dark so they can settle in. Good luck!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got to do it, do it quickly but calmly. Use a BIG net so they don't get their fins crimped and put a temporary top on the new tank (even if its just some plastic wrap - assuming there isn't a permanent top) so they don't jump out in the first few days as they adjust.
Thanks. That's kinda what I figured. The new tank is acrylic and well covered and being 36" tall I think they'll be safe in there once they're in.

Large fine mesh net and corral them into a corner, the quicker you can get it done the better (within reason) and give them a good couple of days with dim lights/ dark so they can settle in. Good luck!!
Thank you so much. I like the fine mesh net idea. I'm looking for one now.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thank you so much. I like the fine mesh net idea. I'm looking for one now.
I only moved my altums once in the whole time I had them (12 years) and I was so horrified. I swear if I could've moved the entire tank (90 gallon hex) without taking them out I would've in a heartbeat. Fine mesh is definitely a lot easier on them- the first few dorsal rays are the ones to watch out for.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I can't help but wonder if you could mellow the fish out with something like clove oil. Just...make'em a bit sleepy, then move them.

Agreed with fine mesh.

Is the problem of the fish spooking and hitting the glass? Or jumping?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Please don't try to hand move that many wild altums. I don't think I really need to get into details but a sterile fine meshed net is less likely to kill them then the stress and potential pathogens (especially if dropped).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please don't try to hand move that many wild altums. I don't think I really need to get into details but a sterile fine meshed net is less likely to kill them then the stress and potential pathogens (especially if dropped).
No, I won't. I have done that with many fish but these are a fish you could lose control of quickly and could do a lot of harm if I dropped one (and I'd die if that happened). They're bigger than my hand anyway and I have to step on up on a ladder to actually reach into the tank opening :oops:. I bought a fine mesh net like you suggested. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d use your bare hands because you can’t bend the fins that way and you can change your hands position really fast to cradle the fish better
I have done that (and think it's best in some instances like when I bought them and they were in a bag and only the size of a quarter) but this is different. They're bigger than my hand and in order to get them in the new tank, I have to reach above my head. Too much room for error.

I only moved my altums once in the whole time I had them (12 years) and I was so horrified. I swear if I could've moved the entire tank (90 gallon hex) without taking them out I would've in a heartbeat. Fine mesh is definitely a lot easier on them- the first few dorsal rays are the ones to watch out for.
I am petrified as well. In hindsight I'd have put them in their forever home and never moved them (or better yet bought F1's). When I first got them (ordered 10) I would swear I was going to lose all of them. They were small and in terrible shape and I needed them in a manageable tank. Their dorsal fins sloughed off, their pecs looked like broken toothpicks and I thought, What have I done? BUT 8 survived and they are stunning now. They are my babies :)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
What a wonderful success story. I was gifted a pair and had them through to just a few years ago. I still have the tank in the living room right where it was lol it's been drained and stripped I just don't have the room for it anywhere else 😅 I truly need to get some of my spare tanks to the co op. Mine were about 4 inches when I got them and spent their entire life in the same tank, but I had to move the tank from my bathroom to my living room when I remodeled and moving them once was so traumatizing to me and the altums that they stayed in the living room 😂. Mine were around a foot tall, such beautiful fish. Once they're moved and settled in you'll finally be able to relax and enjoy. Like I said- you've got this 😉👍

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a wonderful success story. I was gifted a pair and had them through to just a few years ago. I still have the tank in the living room right where it was lol it's been drained and stripped I just don't have the room for it anywhere else 😅 I truly need to get some of my spare tanks to the co op. Mine were about 4 inches when I got them and spent their entire life in the same tank, but I had to move the tank from my bathroom to my living room when I remodeled and moving them once was so traumatizing to me and the altums that they stayed in the living room 😂. Mine were around a foot tall, such beautiful fish. Once they're moved and settled in you'll finally be able to relax and enjoy. Like I said- you've got this 😉👍
I certainly understand your trauma 😊. A foot tall, that's impressive! Thanks for the boost of confidence 😅

Mabye try a ghost net? It’s made out of like silicone. It has a bigger mesh and it’s large because it’s meant for fishing but it could work well
I think I have the perfect net 😊 . I wanted a soft one and rather large so I found one online and it will be here tomorrow ;)

I can't help but wonder if you could mellow the fish out with something like clove oil. Just...make'em a bit sleepy, then move them.

Agreed with fine mesh.

Is the problem of the fish spooking and hitting the glass? Or jumping?
Sounds logical, right? I looked into a natural way to sedate them (incl clove oil) but quickly changed my mind. Just too scary to me. They spook by hitting the glass, thrashing and darting frantically to "get away" and it's so sad. And they're rather large. I knew this before I got them and made a conscious effort to put their tank in a back room (my office), no foot traffic, no headlights at night and I even close the door part way so night reflections from the rest of the house don't spook them. :oops: :cry: I honestly wish I didn't have to move them :cautious:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Sounds logical, right? I looked into a natural way to sedate them (incl clove oil) but quickly changed my mind. Just too scary to me. They spook by hitting the glass, thrashing and darting frantically to "get away" and it's so sad. And they're rather large. I knew this before I got them and made a conscious effort to put their tank in a back room (my office), no foot traffic, no headlights at night and I even close the door part way so night reflections from the rest of the house don't spook them. :oops: :cry: I honestly wish I didn't have to move them :cautious:
So, I know that larger aquariums will make bubble walls in order to keep their sharks from hitting the glass. Is this a thing that could work for the altums?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I know that larger aquariums will make bubble walls in order to keep their sharks from hitting the glass. Is this a thing that could work for the altums?
I like how you think! That's very interesting. ;) The spooking is very occasional under normal circumstances. I know what startles them and avoid it and I won't have to worry about it once they're moved. I have a plan (y)

Use an old pillowcase. Or new.
Drain the water level as low you can keeping the fish upright and then herd them one by one into the pillow case. E-Z.
I have seen that done many times. 😊 These fish are too jumpy. If you've ever seen an arowana spook, it's similar. Total ballastic panic. Once the water level is down low, they're suspicious and ready for flight. I have to be very methodical and fast.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.