The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the down and dirty on the fish hobby in Germany! My husband got orders to Ramstein Air Base- we are moving in April or May. I' super excited for all of the traveling, the food and the dogs- I was looking at importing a Rottweiler within the next 2 years. Now I can just bring one home.

I currently have a 40 breeder(Goldies, lightly planted), a 20(gold neon tetras, planted), a 5(super planted, no fish) and a 29 BC(18 different mushroom corals).
I am super sad to have to rehome my goldies, they are like little puppies.

Should I just sell everything and start over again in Germany? We will be there for 2 years, possibly longer. I am very attached to my goldies and my mushrooms- what is the availability like over there? I've read that the Germans are very into nanos, plants and shrimp right now, so I am hoping that there is a still a thriving saltwater dedication!

So yeah, Germany!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Good luck in Germany. Yeah, sell everything and restart. Europeans are more into planted tanks that we are. Prices will probably be more expensive there though.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't think you have much choice but to sell off and start new. I know they are into plants and shimp and have to assume the saltwater selection should be pretty good also. Look's like you have a opportunity to start new and try some new things!!! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can take tanks if I want since the AF is paying for our move and we don't even come close to the weight limit lol. The only problem is the transit time- we might not get them for 2 months post move.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
relocation is tough, too many things to worry about and so many have to be done.

when you join the service member family community over there, you can look for aquarium setup from other families that are moving to another service station. normally things like this have no price tag, as long as you can promise the previous owner that you will take good care of the fish and the fish tank, you will get it for free. The same while your family done with the tour over there, find someone who can take care of the fish and the tank.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm interested in this topic as well. I'll be moving to Germany next year for school and I want to figure out where some good places to check out are.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have placement for all of my fish and plants, and they would be willing to take the tanks too. I just feel like the goldies need to go to Germany along with the dog and cats lol.
But yeah, I am already planning on scoping out PCSing deals for tanks.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You might not be able to take the fish into the country. Check out the law. I think you can't take goldies into Britain and check out quarantine procedures for dogs and cats.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Germany has rabies, so no quarantine. Dog and cats are already all planned out. Thanks though!
I haven't been able to find anything about fish- just birds and mammals. =/

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have placement for all of my fish and plants, and they would be willing to take the tanks too. I just feel like the goldies need to go to Germany along with the dog and cats lol.
But yeah, I am already planning on scoping out PCSing deals for tanks.
before the next PCS, you have two years to scope out the German planted tank fish/shrimp breeding secrets too, :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As sad as it is, I am really not all that "plant crazy" any more. I've found my true love- mushroom coral! Don't get me wrong, I'll always have a low tech planted kicking around. But shrimp and all the other fun "plant-y" things have paled for me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just had to gravedig, instead of start a new thread!

We've now been in Germany for almost two months. We have a house, but none of our household gear is here yet. Hopefully it will be here in the next two weeks. That said, I just bough a new [to me] tank! I just couldn't pass it up.

It's a water-tight 125 gallon, with stand and canopy. For $100!
http://ramstein.bookoo.com/i/36710370

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with it yet. I do know that I will be sanding and restaining the wood, and possibly re-skinning as well. Depends on how it looks with the rest of our furniture.
So much water. So many possibilities. We'll be here for four years, so it will have a lot of time to settle in and be badass.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nice find. When you figure out what to do with the 125, please make it into a tank journal. It would be a fun read. Also, what are the tank dimensions?

Have you checked out any local fish stores and such around your area?

Anyways, congratulations on your move to Germany and good luck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Germany is a terrific place for this hobby!

Equipment aside, fish, shrimp and plants all seem to be more affordable throughout Europe. In Germany, especially, it's really easy to get your hands on great shrimp and microfish.

Here's hoping you start tons of journals to document all the goodies you discover.
Very true. When i had my shrimp-tank there, it was quite a difference pricewise. That's why i hesitated all the time when i came here to start shrimps again, the prices were shocking compared to what i was used too.

And if anybody over there in Germany needs help here, i am offering myself to help out if i can :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a standard American-made 125, so it is roughly 6ft long, 1.5 wide and 2ft tall.
Tomorrow I will be checking out an aquarium-specific store and a few other stores that have aquarium items. But I have a feeling I will be doing most of my shopping online.
I spent a lot of time last night reading thru other members 125 builds. I can't make up my mind what I want to do! I kind of want to recreate my old 75, lots of mopani, swords and ferns, huge female betta sorority and a large school of small-medium tetras. I miss the jewel toned ladies.

·
Super Moderator
15,099 Posts
Do you have any photos of your old tanks from Germany?

Very true. When i had my shrimp-tank there, it was quite a difference pricewise. That's why i hesitated all the time when i came here to start shrimps again, the prices were shocking compared to what i was used too.

And if anybody over there in Germany needs help here, i am offering myself to help out if i can :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Difficult to begin anywhere. I would suggest to sell everything. Start over. One difference is that mostly if not all tanks you can get your hands on are rimless. They have a plastic rim that sits on the top, but they are not glued on, and you can take the plastic off.

The selection in your general fish store is humongous compared to here. We don't really have the giant pet stores like in the US, they are more spread out and usually catered towards one group of animals. Yes the fish store in the Nordweststadt in Frankfurt has most pets, but you'll quickly see which animal group they are geared towards. There are a lot more plants available in just the stores than in the US. Also, since the country is smaller, if you are willing, you can drive 2 hours and be in different large cities with different options. I used to live near Nuremburg, and my grandparents live in Frankfurt. If I couldn't find anything appropriate in Nuremburg, I'd hop on a train for the weekend to Frankfurt and look there (while visiting family). The available life stock is also larger than here, and even the not pet stores (OBI - like Home Depot) has a fish section where they also sell CRS, CBS and Tigers.

Speaking of stores, usually you'll have less of the chains, and more privately owned stores. They can be somebody's basement with 100 tanks, or a larger store. Find a nice one near you and go explore. Everything though is generally cheaper than here when you look at the same quality.

I think the best thing for you would be to get a German fish magazine and look in the classifieds section in the back. They usually tell you about the different fish stores by city.

Have fun. I miss Germany, and the options are great! Where in Germany are you moving to? I might be able to give you regional pointers if it's a region I've lived in. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck.

Simon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts