The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never run into this problem before. Maybe some of you have an idea or two. I have two Golden Gourami. One in a 5G and about a half inch larger one in my 55G. In a definitely questionable move, but at the behest of my better half, I moved the 5G fish to the heavily planted 55. They met at the center, did the little "dog sniff" and looked like they were going to do fine. Then, Big Boy started in on the other, chasing him relentlessly until the smaller one hid. Now, when he comes out, the chase starts. The aggressive behavior includes fin nipping and cornering. So I know that it was a mistake to put them in together. My problem is that my tank is so heavily planted that when my wife tried to get BB, she almost decapitated several plants. I've tried. But he is quick.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on getting this bully out of the 55? He is very net "savvy" and hides the second he sees it. Indeed to get his butt out of there before he kills the smaller one.

Thanks!

Jes

·
Registered
432 Posts
Drop a tank divider in there to keep them setup separated as best you can, then mall the space occupied by the bigger gourami smaller and smaller by moving the device closer to him until you can catch him. I know you said the tank is heavily planted, but it's better than ripping up all the plants.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That could be an option. The big problem, outside of the plants, is the driftwood loaded with HC and java fern. Couldn't move this stuff without having to redo the plant. I swear I was actually thinking of taking care of him in next water change with gravel cleaner suction... No! No! :drool: :smile:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Fish trap, or drain the tank to a lower water level, or leave the net in there for a few weeks till he is used to it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Or try the method of turning on the tank lights at night and nailing him then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.