The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody lost plants when moving them around in your tank? I moved some of my plants around a few days ago and one of the plants is looking a little brown i noticed i did leave some of the root sticking out will this affect my plant

·
Registered
329 Posts
It depends on exactly which species of plant you're talking about. I recently re-scaped my extremely overgrown 20g jungle tank. I uprooted every single plant that was in the tank, put them all in a bucket of de-chlor water for several hours, then selected the ones I liked best, pruned them down and re-planted them in the tank. Even after all that, they seem to be doing just fine. I'm talking about Jungle Vals, some Marsilea, Water Sprite, and Swords, all of which are all pretty hardy plants to begin with. I would say that unless you're talking about some extremely sensitive plants, you shouldn't have any problems moving them around occasionally. The plants in your pics look like some variety of fern. You should be able to move those no problem.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
While it's possible you could lose a plant or two if you move them around, unless they're a more sensitive variety, generally there should be no problem - just keep in mind, they have been uprooted and placed in a completely different location, and it could take them some time to get re-acclimated properly - so they may suffer temporarily, but will usually bounce right back in a couple/few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.