The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I really need your advice on this one. Today my brother ,his friends, my cousin, and I were trying to move the tank from his house to my house. Its bigger then I expected. He said it was 150 gallons but its at least 180 gallons . The problem of moving it is it has 2 bulkheads at the bottom so its very hard to lift it up and carried it over the stand. We cant slide it because the bulkheads will break. Any advice on moving large aquariums. Do you guys know any products or equipments to lift it up. We tried puttin a crowbar and lifting up one side and stick the crowbar in to crank it up to much pressure would crack the glass.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
Remove the bulkhead fittings and then just lift.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well there is still water in the tank like just a little bit. I cant remove the bulkhead because theres like a whole bunch of ottos, cardinal tetras, and rummy nose in there. Its hard trying to catch all the fish in a dense planted tank. I only was able to catch the discus out. I could bring all the plants and soil out but then I dont have no tank to put the discus in when i bring the tank home.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
yeah im having the same problem. I have a 100 gallon tank that is planted and I would prefer to keep all the gravel and plants planted, just drain the water. I was thinking of just getting a bunch of strong guys to just lift the whole tank and stand together so the bottom of the tank wouldnt fall out. I could get it to the edge of the truck, slide just the tank into the truck and then transport it....what do ya think?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The only safe way to move it is to drain the tank clean to bare glass. Then just trace back on how would you set up a brand new tank. Lifting a tank with all contents (gravel, plants, DW) inside minus water will still likely break the tank (exception is for very small tanks where the strength of structure may be well over very strong). Manual lifting will never be even on all sides, and the point where the stress is concentrated will fail.

First you will have to severe the bulkhead pipe/drain , breaking the seal (usually just silicone) so the bulkhead will be separated from the tank. Sometimes pipe bulkheads are screwed in, so get a wrench and dismantle them.
Get yourself powerful glass suction pads, since large tanks can be slippery and tricky to handle no matter how strong your team is.
It is safest to transport the glass and the cabinet/stand as separate cargo, at least dont stack them together because the risk of sliding is great. Make sure you strap them good on flat bed truck.

Then when it reached your destination, it is all over again just like a new tank.

Folks... just dont try your luck on larger tank. Pick the safest and most into common sense way and be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
449 Posts
A 180 gallon tank weights 282lbs when completely empty. 282lbs takes some careful planning and effort to safely move. Even if your tank would be 'just' a 120 gallons, you'd still be moving 191lbs fully emptied.

Are you describing that there are still plants and fish in this tank that you want to move!!?? Or worse yet: gravel??? Any large tank should be COMPLETELY EMPTIED if you plan to lift and move it - otherwise you run a big risk of causing it to shatter.

First, yank out all plants and put them temporarily in tubs and bucket. Then it will be much easier to net the small fish to a temporary safe home - even a rubbermaid storage tub can be used. Then put any gravel into seperate buckets for transporting. The fish should not be moved in containers with the gravel because this could crush them while moving.

·
Registered
449 Posts
One more thing: ***PLEASE keep that crowbar FAR-AWAY from that tank!!!

First, 280lbs of broken glass is NO Fun to clean up. Second, think of how much it would cost in $$$$$ to replace a large tank! Around here a brand new 180g tank runs around $730.00; -- that's just the tank - no equipment.

It may be a bit of work to safely move such a monster size tank, but it's quite a treat that a lot of folks can only dream of owning (either due to space limitations or too much of an investment.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I moved my 110, 55 & a 48 breeder 800+ miles with ALL of my lake Tanganyika cichlids. (aint cheap fish for sure!) and never lost a single fish.
rubbermaid is your friend! My fish lived in several tubs for almost 2 weeks. Daily w/c's, airline & heating to all plus sponge filters for biofilters. It gave me the peace of mind that I could set up my tank and let it cycle with ease.
tank buddies were used too but thats because of the long road time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
get more people....and walk slowly...

Have some of your wives and GF move the stand and take breaks along the way...letting the tank rest too from the strange pressure points....go slowly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I think thats the best thing to do is just drain the whole thing out and have to take the bulkhead off. The hard party is finding them ottos and shrimp they are so small in such a big tank kinda hard to seperate them from the soil.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For these sunction cups thing do you guys know where I can get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts