The Planted Tank Forum banner

Moving large sword plants

571 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  chad320
Hi, I would like to move two large sword plants closer to the back and move the some stem plants that are behind them to the front. my question is can I move the swords safely and if so what is the best way to do it?
Thanks L
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
If your Swords are pretty big they will have a very large root system. Depending how far back you're trying to move them you can either just slide them through your substrate to avoid pulling the roots out completely or you can pull them out all the way and then replant. Getting all the roots back into the substrate on a large Sword can be a pain. Basically just make sure the roots are completely buried when you're done moving them.... It's probably going to be messy no matter what.
I moved a number of small swords. I just trimmed the roots to an even length (easier to plant that way) and left about 3". The plant never even hiccupped as far as health.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.