The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys can you tell me what is necessary to move fish over a long distance. I just move fish from fish tank to fish tank in my house but never put them in the car. I'm gettin 9 large discus from my cousin and a bunch of cardinals and rummy nose. Im also moving a tank I wanted to bring the discus home first and put it in my 90 but I heard angelfish can spread some parasite onto the discus so I have to move the tank and fish the same day. I was wondering what kinda equipments is important to move them other than a bucket.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I heard angelfish can spread some parasite onto the discus
This is an idea that has not been proven. According to what I've read that has never been substantiated. Many people actually will keep them in the same tank. Personally I don't do it simply because I want my Discus to be the main focus of the tank.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So any ideas of moving them?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Get some large fish bags, fill with enough water to cover the fish (aim for 2/3 air), put in one fish, rubberband, invert into another bag and double bag it, stick in a cooler.

I used Bag Buddies when I moved fish. It claims to be a mild tranquilizer along with other claims that are more difficult to believe. Don't know if it helps, but it doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Clean 5-gal pails with lids will be fine. The sloshing around will aid in oxygenating the water. It would be a good idea to starve the fish for a few days prior to moving to help keep the waste levels low during transport.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've found that tupperware containers, neatly stacked inside a cooler help quite a bit. Lets you know the bag doesn't have a hole in it 'cause you're not using a bag, keeps them relatively the same temperature, so they don't get like... temperature shock, AND it's pretty easy to just pick them out if you stop in a hotel room or something, pop the lid on each container and give 'em fresh air or whatever. This also helps if you have several aquariums, or fish with spikes! Keeps everyone seperate, happy, and wet. :) Well, anyway, that method got my bettas across the country intact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.