The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am moving into college this weekend and I plan to bring by beta fish with me. I have a tank with a heater and a filter. What is the best way to accomplish this. It isn't a very long ride, about an hour at most, but I want to make sure he makes the trip ok. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Get a bag (either the kind used by aquarium shops or a gallon freezer bag will work). Bag up your fish like they do at the pet shop, filling the bag 3/4 full of water from his current aquarium. Twist the top (even if it's a zip bag) and very tightly rubber band the top closed to prevent leaks. If you have a bowl or small box to put the bag in to keep it upright, that will help too.

Put his filter media (pad, sponge or whatever) in a second bag with a little bit of aquarium water to preserve the beneficial bacteria so you don't have to completely restart the tank cycle when you get set back up. It will still probably have a mini cycle, but not too terrible like it would if you started from scratch.

Empty the rest of the water from the tank for travel, pack up the filter and heater, and go.

When you get to your destination, refill the tank, add your water conditioner, set up the filter and heater, and turn it all back on. Try to use water close to the right temperature so it won't take too long to settle in the correct range.

Float the betta bag in the new tank to let the temperature equalize between him and the bowl for about 15 minutes, then drop him in. Since the water in the bag is his, not potentially questionable pet shop water, you can just gently pour him and it into the tank so that the parameters aren't changing quite so much.

Try to make sure you set up the new tank promptly after arriving though. You don't want him in the bag longer than necessary. I've moved fish this way several times, and it's been fine as long as I got them resettled within 2 or 3 hours of bagging them up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is a good time to use that cooler that has been sitting around waiting for summer.. It'll help keep the temps in your bags from dropping too much

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.