The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This isn't Definably going to happen, and hopefully this wont happen anytime within the next 2 years or so, but I live in Seattle, WA, and my parents live in Anaheim, CA (about 2 states, and 3 driving days, away).

My boyfriend of 6 years and I are starting to get heavily into aquariums and fish, and I've absolutely fallen in love with this Black Ranchu goldfish at my favorite supplier and am getting ready to buy him. But, should anything happen (we're playing safe and don't want kids, but in case I get pregnant I'm moving back to CA) and we need to go back to CA, what are the different methods of transporting my babies (we already have a 30 gallon tank we're in the process of establishment, a 10 gallon tank with 1 guppy and 3 khuli louche, and a 1.5 gallon Isolation tank where we're currently quarantining 2 female guppies, and I'm planning on a 20 gallon for the Ranchu) over the 2 states?

Could I air mail them safely?
Would transporting them via car over 3 days be best?
If I bought an extra airplane ticket and flew them to CA, would that be safest (trust me, I'm willing to do it!)?

I know people transport Betta safely over long distances, but...I don't know how...

Any help is appreciated, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks! :-

PS: Any information one can give me on Ranchu Goldfish would be awesome; I just read one web site saying that they're VERY delicate so they're not recommended for beginners, and I'm not willing to risk the goldfish life the sake of having him...

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
This is what I do

Take fish, throw them in a bucket with a heater and airpump. Drive. Done. Hook the air pump and heater to the cigarette lighter, they make a converter. You will be fine. Just make sure you have a top on the bucket and drill holes for them. No worries.

Do not feed 3 days before the trip.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You should probably just wait until the situation is at hand and then ask. Then you would have a better idea of what fish you need to move and if driving or shipping is an option.

It won't do you much good to ship them if you're not there to pick them up or if you don't have tanks and such ready.

Other than that, transporting fish is no big deal.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have moved fish long-distance many times. I fast them for two days prior to tearing down their tank because not having food in their system means they produce less waste in the bags, which means better water quality. I bag them in generous amounts of water and try to bag them according to their behavior/who they are friends with so no one is stressed by being bagged with a bully. I double bag them to be safe. Then put them in a styrofoam cooler or shipping box (most fish stores will give you one or sell you one for cheap) and put them in the car. If they will be bagged multiple days, I do a water change once daily on the bags with bottled water. If I am going to have to do that, I will get some gallon jugs of RO water from Walmart or wherever they are cheap. No sense in risking unfamiliar tap water from a hotel.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I put all my fish in a 5 gal bucket with no airstone. At night in the hotel I would do a 50% WC(I brought water with me so it would be the same) and run an airstone.

All fish survived.
That's what I did on the road trip from TX to FL. Just I did smaller water changes (about 25%) and did use the hotel water, no problems.

I also had the buckets stuffed with plastic plants to help reduce stress and discourage jumping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome!

Thanks for all of these replies.

I know it's really premature and might not even end up being an issue, I just like to have a general Idea of these things in case anything happens. I feel much better about the whole thing.

Thanks! :-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts