The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I will be moving a nice branch with a ton of fissidens on it. In the old tank I have limpet snails so I do not want to transfer them over. Are there any chemicals that would kill all the snails but leave my fissidens healthy? I can always do a peroxide or bleach bath but I do not want to affect the juicy healthy moss.

Does liquid copper kill plants? (if such thing exists).

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Potassium permanganate would work pretty well. Much easier on the moss than bleach.

It's great for disinfecting nets and other tank equipment, as well.
Thanks.

Do you know the dosing amounts or where is the best place to buy this?

btw. one of these days I need to try some of your homemade shrimp foods and post the reviews here. I've been hearing some good things.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
10ml per gal hydrogen peroxide dip for 10 min. I never try on fissidens, thought.
But there wasn't any problem with other mosses.

·
Super Moderator
15,087 Posts
Bought mine on eBay for a couple bucks. Lasts forever.

Usually takes just a few grains of it to make a fairly dark solution.

Fissidens is so finicky that I've never left it in any dip for more than a few minutes.

Maybe you could do a dip and then quarantine it in a bucket for a week or so and examine it every day to make sure there are no eggs or snails?

Do you know the dosing amounts or where is the best place to buy this?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Too much for too long will kill mosses too. A 10 min dip was enough to knock my fiss back enough where it took 2 months + co2 to recover
In alum? Or something else mentioned? Cause I've done 3 day alum dips on fissidens and probably 6 different varieties of mosses as well as floated with zero harm done to the plants.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I have some moss in plastic container which has been thru HP dip. I can't see any snails
now /3 months after the dip/.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
In alum? Or something else mentioned? Cause I've done 3 day alum dips on fissidens and probably 6 different varieties of mosses as well as floated with zero harm done to the plants.
Potassium Permanganate. Also uhh that tetra clear water or something is just Potassium Permanganate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts