The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to move my RCS from my main fish tank into my Fluval Ebi this weekend. This morning I noticed my biggest female is berried.

Will it be OK to move her or will she lose the eggs? Should I try to net her or use a trap or just leave her until they've hatched?

Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've never had issues. I've even brought them home from the lfs berried, where they had been netted.

When I move mine I make sure they have a plant to hold onto and acclimate a bit slower than usual. I use a breeder box and steer the shrimp with a net.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've never had a problem with moving berried females either. Usually when I'm at any LFS in my city and I see a berried female I just buy it and then throw it into my birthing tank (a fluval spec) until she pops em out and then throw the mom back in the main tank... let the babies grow up, into the main tank they go. Rinse and repeat. :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never had issues. I've even brought them home from the lfs berried, where they had been netted.

When I move mine I make sure they have a plant to hold onto and acclimate a bit slower than usual. I use a breeder box and steer the shrimp with a net.
I don't have a breeder box but this gave me the idea of using a clear container to capture my now two berried females. Sounds less traumatic than netting them.

Unfortunately though, both berried females have stopped coming out from the cracks in my piece of driftwood. The rest of my RCS are still out though, is this normal for when they berry?

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I don't have a breeder box but this gave me the idea of using a clear container to capture my now two berried females. Sounds less traumatic than netting them.

Unfortunately though, both berried females have stopped coming out from the cracks in my piece of driftwood. The rest of my RCS are still out though, is this normal for when they berry?
Berried females will be more shy than males and other females. The same is true for when a shrimp first molts, they will also hide majority of the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.