The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing new carpet in my basement where my 55g tank is located. I want to move the tank to a storage room about 15 feet away from where the tank is sitting now. Any advice on how to do this without needing to remove my plants and substrate would be appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm going to be installing new carpet in my basement where my 55g tank is located. I want to move the tank to a storage room about 15 feet away from where the tank is sitting now. Any advice on how to do this without needing to remove my plants and substrate would be appreciated.
Does your stand have legs? If so, A floor jack can be useful.
If not, use a pry bar, and get some carpet sliders under it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Drain the tank as far as you can. I'd try for at least 90%. Catch the the larger fish.

It's a three person job. One to move the stand and two to move the tank. Carry it over and set fill it back up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does your stand have legs? If so, A floor jack can be useful.
If not, use a pry bar, and get some carpet sliders under it.
I like this idea. My stand does not have legs but I should be able to pry it up no problem. I'm glad you suggested this before I ripped out my carpet. Worth a shot anyways.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Drain the tank as far as you can. I'd try for at least 90%. Catch the the larger fish.

It's a three person job. One to move the stand and two to move the tank. Carry it over and set fill it back up.

i've done this many times, for longer moves (up to 1/2 mile). it works really well, the one thing i reccomend is do a really good gravel vac when you drain the tank. i thought i did a good of keeping my tanks clean until i refilled them after the move.

also of course make sure that your not doing a 90% water change. i know that you are only moving the tank across the room, but any move is stressful for fish. IF you try to add to the stress of the move by changing 90% of your water you are flirting with killing fish. i wouldn't do more than a 50% water replacement.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
When working around people moving million dollar pieces of equipment, I found the value of using PVC pipe as rollers. They are cheap and can be cut to fit any size. A set of 6-8 rollers made from 1/2- 3/4 inch PVC will make it a one person job once the rollers are under the stand. This does require the stand to be built stronger than many commercial stands. Prying them up does require a good build on the stand. If you have deep carpeting, larger rollers like 2" roll better but they do require prying higher.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
The key to moving a tank is to not stress the side joints.
Do not twist the tank, especially with weight like substrate in it.
Whenever possible lift evenly from the bottom.
Support the whole tank on a level surface (like a sheet of plywood) if you have to remove it from the stand.

I also have moved tanks around the house by sliding tank and stand together, and the tank had been drained down as far as possible.
Good point to vacuum the substrate the best you can. No matter how smoothly you move the tank it will get stirred up to some extent.

Refill by placing a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and running the water in slowly so it seeps over the edge of the bag. This will minimize clouding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I found a 75 gallon tank with stand, canister, aquaticlife 48" dual t5ho and a grab bag of other stuff for 275 bucks. May as well break the tank down for the swap and carpet install. Excited to be free of the lack of depth of the 55.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Your tank weighs in at about 625+ lbs filled, about 80% of that weight is water, with stand and gravel you could be talking about 1,000 lbs. drained enough to move but keeping enough water in to keep your fish alive and not pulling the substrate you could reduce that down to 500lbs. Better to guess high. Make sure there are four of you to move it, more would be better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts