The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I wanted to know is there any efficient way on how to move a planted aquarium without disturbing the aquascape much, also what are the risks there are while transportation of tanks. Thank you

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
depends how big your tank is. My 1.5 gallon I can empty to 1" of water, leave the shrimps in, pick it up and carry. My 10gal I drain but leave substrate and plants in, slide onto a panel and carry carefully. Anything larger I would empty and rescape. People have asked this before when they're moving house, do a search and you can find a lot of discussion on it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I agree...for anything other than a very small tank, you really need to tear it all down and set it up again in the new location...otherwise you risk creating a leak or even a broken pane!
It's just not worth the risk to move a tank with substrate, plants, and a few inches of water.

·
Registered
364 Posts
And to be safe, you really want a new tank setup in the place. That way you'll have twice the numbers of tanks after you move!

LOL, not really. But it is possible to do this. During our last move we didn't lose a single fish. We stopped feeding them a few days before. They lived in bucket with heater and air stones.

Plants were in other buckets and we lost about half of those.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have had mixed results with moving a ten gallon tank and not completely draining it. Anything larger and I'd completely remove everything and re-scape. it is just not worth the risk of a tank leaking or breaking and all your plants and critters dying, not to mention the damage to your house.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would definitely not recommend it, but I emptied about 75% of the water out of a 29 gallon, left all the fish and plants in it, carried it down a flight of stairs and into the back of a car, and drove it an hour to the new house and set it back up. Somehow managed not to crack it or lose any livestock. It's still running as a quarantine tank at the moment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had luck with 60-70% draining two 10 gallons, and two 5.5 gallons in back of the car, transporting to new location... Anything larger and I would not risk it.

actually, I probably wouldn't risk a 10 gallon now that I am further along in the hobby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was able to get away with moving my 10 gallon a few months ago. I only had three fish in the tank, so they got scooped out, bagged, and were transported in a separate small animal carrier. I drained most of the water from the tank, draped wet paper towels over the plants, and kept the glass lid on top. I made sure that the tank was resting on a relatively flat, level surface in the car. It was only a half hour drive but now that I think back on it, I'm surprised I made it without any damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.