The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on taking my shrimp tank with me to my new apartment, and would like advice on my tentative plan so far. Here's a brief outline:

- move plants and shrimp into a bucket

- drain tank and move water to same bucket, lid and duct tape shut

- leave substrate, rocks, and driftwood in the tank, put in a box w/ packing material

Is there any reason I shouldn't put the plants, shrimp, and water all in one bucket? Or any other big issues with my plan? I thought about draining the tank halfway, leaving the shrimp and plants, and just transporting that- but I am worried since that's more opportunity for things to go wrong.

Thanks for any help :-D

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
If possible get a battery operated air pump and an airstone with a bit of your filter sponge attached to add air to the bucket with your shrimp and plants to reduce stress and give some oxygen as you plan in duct taping it shut. The rest of your plan sounds solid

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You're only moving an hour and 20 minutes away. The air pump and airstone are nice, but you also don't need them.

No big issues that I can think of. Just make sure to leave some space in the bucket for air (don't fill it up to the brim) and you should be fine. Make sure the submersed plants stay submersed if you're traveling in hot weather to keep the leaves from going crispy.

Be mindful when refilling the tank, as contents will have shifted, releasing nutrients and stuff into the water.

·
Super Moderator
16,945 Posts
Since your tank will only be in transit mode for less than a day, you definitely don't need to worry about an air stone or anything like that. Just follow what others have told you about making sure there's enough air for gaseous exchange and you'll be okay. Don't let anything overheat. Keep an eye on it. You'll be fine.

If it were me, I'd completely drain the tank and keep about 1.5-2gal of water in a 5gal bucket from Home Depot with a plant or two - only if you can do so without destroying your scape. If you can't do the plant thing (or even if you can), include a chunk of Poly Filter in the bucket for shrimp to cling to and to catch any ammonia. Put shrimp in that bucket with the drained water and seal it shut with the included lid. Use the lid. Fully seal it.

Leave as much of your scape intact as you can and use wadded up newspaper/packing paper/air-filled packing pillows from all of your Amazon orders (welcome to my world!) to help protect your scape if you need. At your new place, refill the tank slowly with new water - match parameters as close as you can to the old water - and let it run for an hour or two. Then test for ammonia spikes and the like. If all is well, then move your shrimp back into the tank.

I've moved so many times with dozens of tanks that I don't stress much over it. Here's the best advice I can give: Plan for the worst just to make yourself feel better. You won't need all the contingency plans but you'll feel better. I've left things broken down for 2-3 days without issue (once went 5-6 days and it was okay-ish) and have moved tanks in a Uhaul for hundreds of miles at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Following this to see how it goes for you. I'm moving my nano shrimp tank in the next few weeks. Good luck and please let us know how it goes!
I actually won't be moving until the end of the summer! I just like to have a plan worked out far in advance ^-^

Since your tank will only be in transit mode for less than a day, you definitely don't need to worry about an air stone or anything like that. Just follow what others have told you about making sure there's enough air for gaseous exchange and you'll be okay. Don't let anything overheat. Keep an eye on it. You'll be fine.

If it were me, I'd completely drain the tank and keep about 1.5-2gal of water in a 5gal bucket from Home Depot with a plant or two - only if you can do so without destroying your scape. If you can't do the plant thing (or even if you can), include a chunk of Poly Filter in the bucket for shrimp to cling to and to catch any ammonia. Put shrimp in that bucket with the drained water and seal it shut with the included lid. Use the lid. Fully seal it.

Leave as much of your scape intact as you can and use wadded up newspaper/packing paper/air-filled packing pillows from all of your Amazon orders (welcome to my world!) to help protect your scape if you need. At your new place, refill the tank slowly with new water - match parameters as close as you can to the old water - and let it run for an hour or two. Then test for ammonia spikes and the like. If all is well, then move your shrimp back into the tank.

I've moved so many times with dozens of tanks that I don't stress much over it. Here's the best advice I can give: Plan for the worst just to make yourself feel better. You won't need all the contingency plans but you'll feel better. I've left things broken down for 2-3 days without issue (once went 5-6 days and it was okay-ish) and have moved tanks in a Uhaul for hundreds of miles at a time.
It's nice to hear that you've gone through this many times with little to no problems! I like the poly filter idea, and will be following your advice to let it run for a bit, then test and add shrimp. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,945 Posts
It's nice to hear that you've gone through this many times with little to no problems! I like the poly filter idea, and will be following your advice to let it run for a bit, then test and add shrimp. Thanks!
Probably should have mentioned that I responded from a purely shrimp perspective. Specifically sensitive shrimp like Caridina. Neos will be even more forgiving.

As long as you're careful with the tank itself, I don't think you have much to stress about at all. It'll be easy for you.

What kind of tank are you moving? Fluval Spec V? Or a standard 5.5gal rimmed aquarium? If it's something like the Spec, they're pretty sturdy and easy to carry as long as you pack them well. If it's a standard tank, I've found it easier to handle them when I have a flat piece of wood under them as I move them about. Same goes for larger tanks but I'm assuming what you've got is easily carried by one person.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably should have mentioned that I responded from a purely shrimp perspective. Specifically sensitive shrimp like Caridina. Neos will be even more forgiving.

As long as you're careful with the tank itself, I don't think you have much to stress about at all. It'll be easy for you.

What kind of tank are you moving? Fluval Spec V? Or a standard 5.5gal rimmed aquarium? If it's something like the Spec, they're pretty sturdy and easy to carry as long as you pack them well. If it's a standard tank, I've found it easier to handle them when I have a flat piece of wood under them as I move them about. Same goes for larger tanks but I'm assuming what you've got is easily carried by one person.
I've got a standard 5.5g rimmed tank, I think it should be fairly easy to carry in a cardboard box. Wood underneath might help in terms of support though. And in terms of shrimp, I've got both Amanos and Cherries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.