The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am finally moving my big tank that has been in the same spot for 12 years. I have moved my shrimp tanks that are smaller with ease but this will be a challenge. I am moving to a new house about 15 minutes away. My 75 gallon is heavily planted and has a lot of fish such as endlers, ottos white clouds, rasboras, and cherry shrimp too. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I would really like to not tear the whole tank down. I would like to leave my plants and substrate in the tank for the move and maybe brace the glass but I'm still worried about the weight. I was just wondering what everyone thought

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its heavier than you think. All that substrate, and also the water it holds. You will need multiple, strong amd sturdy friends. Be safe, and don't hurt yourselves

Sent from my SM-A215U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Well, I am finally moving my big tank that has been in the same spot for 12 years. I have moved my shrimp tanks that are smaller with ease but this will be a challenge. I am moving to a new house about 15 minutes away. My 75 gallon is heavily planted and has a lot of fish such as endlers, ottos white clouds, rasboras, and cherry shrimp too. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I would really like to not tear the whole tank down. I would like to leave my plants and substrate in the tank for the move and maybe brace the glass but I'm still worried about the weight. I was just wondering what everyone thought
Many moving companies won't touch an aquarium at all. Even a small one. I have previously only had small tanks when moving and they all rejected dealing with them. You can call a good local fish store and ask if they have a service they can recommend.

Personally if it were me, I would just accept that you need to tear out the plants and substrate, do it yourself and put everything in buckets and take it to the new house yourself. For the tank if your moving company won't move it dry for you then hire some people on the side to do it. I am getting a new 75 delivered soon and someone recommended buying some suction cup handles to assist in the move. I plan to do that, and if you don't use an aquarium specific service, its probably a good idea for you as well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
There's not only the issue with the weight of a tank that big, but damaging it during the move. Moving anything over 5 gallons with gravel and hardscape in it, and you risk beaking a seal and causing a leak. I've had luck with ten gallon tanks. I still had one of those leak as well, by moving it with gravel in it and a few inches of water. Those seals and the glass are pretty strong when it's on a level stand with equal weight on the frame. When you lift it with even a small amount of water and hardscape you greatly increase the chances of damaging the tank. For me, the risk of having that thing leak is too great.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
611 Posts
Just moving a few tanks around the house two weeks ago was stressful. I'd have to agree with minorhero above and expect you will end up completely breaking the tank down into buckets during the move. Good luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do you have overlap, say a week or so, between the two houses? This is a great time to up the tank game. It you set your mind to it you can really convince yourself that it is better for the fish and plants to have a stress free move.

1. Buy new tank, hopefully bigger
  2. Setup new tank
  3. Move fish and plants into new tank
  4. Move your house and the old, empty tank
  5. Setup the old tank
Now you have 2 tanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone for the replies! I think I'm gonna break it all down and move it. I have plenty of time to move it. It is coming from my parent's house to my new house! I appreciate all of the advice.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
good luck to you, when I changed out the substrate on my 75 I put everything, decor, fish and as much water as I could in two other tanks a 20 and a 30. for me they only lived there for a day while I changed everything over. But that should work for you, give you time enough to move the tank. I bet you could find some cheap ones if you don't have any, clean it up and resell later. Or I bet some people would let you borrow. really you could just toss an air stone in and do it all in a couple days, they should be fine in that situation(as long as you aren't in Texas right now, you may freeze them with only an airstone).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks, everyone for the replies! I think I'm gonna break it all down and move it. I have plenty of time to move it. It is coming from my parent's house to my new house! I appreciate all of the advice.
Good luck on the move. I am new and didn't want to hijack the thread but can you run a canister filter in a bucket (air) to keep biological media alive? 5 gallon paint buckets have lid with small opening so reduce amount of splashing during transit. I have an DC to AC inverter for use in truck. How long can you run a canister filter this way?
OP didn't mention the type of filtration in use.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
Good luck on the move. I am new and didn't want to hijack the thread but can you run a canister filter in a bucket (air) to keep biological media alive? 5 gallon paint buckets have lid with small opening so reduce amount of splashing during transit. I have an DC to AC inverter for use in truck. How long can you run a canister filter this way?
I don't know what you mean exactly. but I'm sure if you just wanted to keep the flow going while it is out of the tank you could set up anything really that hold enough water to keep that flow going. if you keep enough water to store the fish, I was able to keep 50 gal of my 75 so I didn't worry about the filter so much. I also was able to do this in one Saturday. so if you are having move that is going to take over a day running the filter would probably be a good idea. it would only need to run on the lowest settings anyway to keep the bacteria alive for a couple days.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Easier to just remove the media and put into a bucket with aeration (battery operated bubbler). It will survive a move just fine, this way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am considering putting up a 60g 24" cube but I know I am going to have to move it. Will probably move in 2-5 years. The move may be a 12 hour drive away, and not likely to be able to set up another tank in advance. So a re-scape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.