The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally moved my 50 gallon onto its new stand I built. It was sitting on one of the open style metal stands with the sump exposed to my kids trying to put toys and other various objects in there. Total move was about 6 feet onto a proper cabinet. I had to redo the plumbing too as I have switched from a durso style to a herbie style. It is way quiet!

Now I am enjoying the fruits of my labor with a cold one, and I am curious what other folks are doing with their aquariums today?

·
Banned
628 Posts
I did my water change today. I hurt my knee carrying 80 pounds of water up the stairs. Fifty pounds is about my limit. Moving a tank sure sounds fun (not). How did it go? Any problems? Any lessons learned?

Reactions: Goodwood

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did my water change today. I hurt my knee carrying 80 pounds of water up the stairs. Fifty pounds is about my limit. Moving a tank sure sounds fun (not). How did it go? Any problems? Any lessons learned?
Yeesh! Im sorry you hurt yourself! Stairs are the worst! Might be why I do not have any tanks upstairs... yet.

Moving it wasn' terrible. Had the wife help. She has been working out, so she was ready! Haha.

The only lesson I learned was to make sure you have extra plumbing parts. As the saying goes, I did make three trips to the hardware store to complete my plumbing project.

Words of wisdom: Buy extra, return it later.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeesh! Im sorry you hurt yourself! Stairs are the worst! Might be why I do not have any tanks upstairs... yet.

Moving it wasn' terrible. Had the wife help. She has been working out, so she was ready! Haha.

The only lesson I learned was to make sure you have extra plumbing parts. As the saying goes, I did make three trips to the hardware store to complete my plumbing project.

Words of wisdom: Buy extra, return it later.
Sigh.. you'd think I'd learn.. but subconsciously I think I must like extra trips to the HW store :)

The tank looks good in that spot. Doubly so, because it might be in front of a recliner!

I did my last 30 percent water change on the wife's medicated 55 gallon. Kind of wish I had primed the emperor tetras with live brine shrimp (also minus the ich outbreak). The water change triggered a lot of spawning behavior. so I guess that means they are feeling better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sigh.. you'd think I'd learn.. but subconsciously I think I must like extra trips to the HW store :)

The tank looks good in that spot. Doubly so, because it might be in front of a recliner!

I did my last 30 percent water change on the wife's medicated 55 gallon. Kind of wish I had primed the emperor tetras with live brine shrimp (also minus the ich outbreak). The water change triggered a lot of spawning behavior. so I guess that means they are feeling better.
The recliner is the best seat in the house! There is a reason we call it "The Dad Chair!"

Hope the Ich is all done! I love the behavior of my fish after getting a nice cool water change!

Now that I have moved my tank 6 ft, my water changing hose is 6 feet too short... typical!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Have you heard of the Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System? I was having to lug 30 lb buckets back and forth until I got one. Now I just put some dechlorinator in the tank, hook the hose up to a faucet, and get my water changes done in less than 20 minutes rather than an hour+. It's been great since I have a bad back, I highly recommend it! I used to stock my aquarium less so I'd have to do less of a water change but now I can do a 50% water change weekly and it's no trouble.
Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I measured out golden pearls to feed to my tank! The kind from brineshrimpdirect is super stinky, but hopefully the smell will abate over time. It's odd, since I really only use 1/4 of a Seachem Focus spoon to do a feeding every day, so having an auto feeder is a real boon.

There's a wildfire near me right now so I've had to cancel making Repashy gel at the moment because wildfire smoke isn't good for anybody's lungs, and I refuse to wear a mask in my living unit.

Oh! and I updated my instagram and build thread.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Have you heard of the Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System? I was having to lug 30 lb buckets back and forth until I got one. Now I just put some dechlorinator in the tank, hook the hose up to a faucet, and get my water changes done in less than 20 minutes rather than an hour+. It's been great since I have a bad back, I highly recommend it! I used to stock my aquarium less so I'd have to do less of a water change but now I can do a 50% water change weekly and it's no trouble.
+1 for the Python. I have used them for over 30 years. If you have a bathroom within 50+ feet of your tank your back will thank you. Python has all kinds of adapters to make it easy to connect to a normal faucet. You can also just use gravity to empty the tank water and to either your bathtub, toilet, or even out the window to your garden.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I had a Python thirty years ago. I can't believe I got rid of it. A Python is something you keep. I only have a twenty gallon so I've been shuttling ten gallons from the sink to the tank in bottles. But then I found out my TDS was over 500 ppm so I've been hauling RO water up from the garage. Yesterday I tried carrying two at the same time. New rule, one at a time.

·
Super Moderator
16,937 Posts
Y'all are CARRYING water up stairs? I'm only 39 but... hoo boy. No thanks.

I mix my own water all the time and got tired of carrying water really quickly. Now I use a cheap pump connected to a long hose for transporting up stairs or even across the same floor. Best $50 I ever spent. Even have a smaller pump I keep in in my 5gal bucket with a length of hose that I use for refilling smaller tanks.

Just the thought of carrying a couple gallons of water up stairs has me scoffing.

Everyone needs to get on this lazy tank train if they can.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Got bummed out my aponongeton in my 40 is blooming. Did a substrate fluff and water change on my cube and disassembled my 20g trash can tank now I'm sitting back and dosing nothing... Until I have to walk my dogs lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a Python thirty years ago. I can't believe I got rid of it. A Python is something you keep. I only have a twenty gallon so I've been shuttling ten gallons from the sink to the tank in bottles. But then I found out my TDS was over 500 ppm so I've been hauling RO water up from the garage. Yesterday I tried carrying two at the same time. New rule, one at a time.
I bought a 50' RV water hose for $25 and ditched the bucket. My houseplants and the vegetable garden really dig fish tank water!

·
Banned
628 Posts
Y'all are CARRYING water up stairs? I'm only 39 but... hoo boy. No thanks.

I mix my own water all the time and got tired of carrying water really quickly. Now I use a cheap pump connected to a long hose for transporting up stairs or even across the same floor. Best $50 I ever spent. Even have a smaller pump I keep in in my 5gal bucket with a length of hose that I use for refilling smaller tanks.

Just the thought of carrying a couple gallons of water up stairs has me scoffing.

Everyone needs to get on this lazy tank train if they can.
I like my bottles and buckets. My knee is killing me. I had to call in sick this morning and am having a hard time walking. I'm putting some serious thought into this water hauling issue. I could probably use an RO unit for one thing. Then I wouldn't have to carry water up the stairs. I have the five gallon bucket, powerhead and hose. A powerhead won't get water upstairs though. It would take a stronger pump than that. What would be perfect would be a mixing/storage vat behind my tank (there's room). Then fill that with a long hose from a RO unit in the kitchen sink. Then I would have some interesting equipment like some of you have. It would still be an obsolete tank with an overhead filter though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I like my bottles and buckets. My knee is killing me. I had to call in sick this morning and am having a hard time walking. I'm putting some serious thought into this water hauling issue. I could probably use an RO unit for one thing. Then I wouldn't have to carry water up the stairs. I have the five gallon bucket, powerhead and hose. A powerhead won't get water upstairs though. It would take a stronger pump than that. What would be perfect would be a mixing/storage vat behind my tank (there's room). Then fill that with a long hose from a RO unit in the kitchen sink. Then I would have some interesting equipment like some of you have. It would still be an obsolete tank with an overhead filter though.
Can you get a pump and a really really long hose, and just drain the buckets from downstairs?

·
Banned
628 Posts
Can you get a pump and a really really long hose, and just drain the buckets from downstairs?
In the time it takes to throw an extension cord over the side of my balcony and pour several bottles of water into a bucket to fill spare bottles upstairs, I could get all that water up the stairs by carrying it. No matter what I do it's going to be a hassle. I really liked using my tap water. But the TDS was just too high.

·
Registered
692 Posts
In the time it takes to throw an extension cord over the side of my balcony and pour several bottles of water into a bucket to fill spare bottles upstairs, I could get all that water up the stairs by carrying it. No matter what I do it's going to be a hassle. I really liked using my tap water. But the TDS was just too high.
I hear ya, I just figured it'd be easier on your back.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

What about an RO unit upstairs? Move the whole operation upstairs!? Or an attic/crawl-space!? Sky is the limit!

This is escalating. I have got ideas!

·
Banned
628 Posts
Yeah, it's an exciting hobby until you get burned out on all the work. But some people never get burned out. I'm in the middle. I try to keep it going and I try to keep it pratical. The thing about the RO unit is that it takes two hours to make water. Like you, I have a lot of ideas. But there's no substitute for hard work. It's kind of satisfying actually.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, it's an exciting hobby until you get burned out on all the work. But some people never get burned out. I'm in the middle. I try to keep it going and I try to keep it pratical. The thing about the RO unit is that it takes two hours to make water. Like you, I have a lot of ideas. But there's no substitute for hard work. It's kind of satisfying actually.
There is no substitute for hard work. Hard work can define gratification!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.