The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Won't go into much detail but just planted one stem of Rotala about
a month ago. Has a second stem coming from the side by the bottom.
Both grew at first but the shorter one stopped growing and the main, first stem is doing well now.
But as often happens I changed my mind on where it is and want to move it. It had fair roots when I got it so it's not just a clipping or is but had time to get a few roots.
But I'm thinking that if I cut the main stem just above where the second one comes off it, the main one will tansplant better to the new spot and
then the short one can get all the energy coming from the roots and start growin again.
The reason it's only one is I just can't buy what ever, when ever so I
will take a stem if offered especially if it's something I like.
But not wanting to harm it is making me ask if you think it's been in there long enough to trasnsplant/cut it ?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It came/w two, one at about 1.5" and one at about 4" and now it's about 1.75" and 7"
so it already had the two when I got it but I think I'll stilltake your advise and wait a bit longer to mess/w it. The type is hard to find usually so I don't want to loose it.
That's how much is sticking out of the sub I should have said.
Not going to be silly and call it rare but stil nursing a Rotala Magenta since February
since it was decimated by iron(too much) and left me/w one piece that sticks out the sub a whole inch...looking better though after the sub change in February.
You know that steep early learning curve, well the "if some is good then a lot should be better" part of it. Came as a big shock to me that at times there is a reason for directions on packages. LOL...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If it is something that you are trying to get going, moving it around will not help you. If I get a new stem of something, and especially if it is something "kind of" rare, I will stick it in wide open area by itself to let it grow out some first. Once it is tall enough I will clip and then plant the clipping where I want it to eventually stay. If you have multiple tanks this is easier as one of the tanks sort of acts like a grow out tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts