The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thinking of experimenting with some LEDs and have been reading the threads with interest.

But could someone advise can these be mounted directly on to a heatsink?
Led Lamp Beads: add this to ebay: /itm/300548691592?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 (looks likle links get pruged :( )

I know you probably get what you pay for but I want to start cheap!

Thanks for your help,

Tim.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you are dexterous enough you can solder them to "stars", which are heatsinks, made for mounting bare diodes. You still have to buy the stars though, and they are not adequate heatsinks by themselves either. The stars, with LEDs mounted on them, have to be used with aluminum heatsinks - not serious ones, for 1 watt LEDs, but at least an aluminum bar. This is definitely the very hard way to get into LEDs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you're looking at the right LEDs I think - no stars. Thanks for your advice guys. I was thinking of mounting directly to one/two large proper AL heat sinks with some thermal adhesive. Then bending the leads up away so I can get the supplies soldered on - I can cope with the soldering. Heatshrink or just some hot melt glue to insulate the terminals.

... I may continue looking for alternatives ;-) or for a couple of £s give it a go ;-)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just reading the Spec for a Seol LED and noticed it states:

"The slug is connected to the anode" If this is typical then my idea of connecting directly to a heat sink is a non-starter unless I isolate the LED from the HS :( Could I use Thermal Adhesive Tape?

Does any one know if it is typical to connect slug to anode or indeed cathode?

Thanks,

Tim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts