The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to raise one kind of shrimp for purposes of supplementing your hobby what kind of shrimp would it be?

·
Registered
644 Posts
^ +1 Without a doubt. Cherries are probably the most pervasive, but if you're looking to breed and make a little cash on the side, CRS is where it's at. Keep in mind that you're going to be doing a lot more work with CRS than you will with cherries as far as breeding for higher grades in concerned. Get some excellent (S or SS) shrimp to start off and cull the lower grade ones. As long as you keep them happy, they'll keep breeding.

Eventually, of course, the prices will start to drop as they get more popular in the states, but the higher grades will be quite valuable for a long time.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Kangshiang is a great source. Grade S will run you somewhere around $15/shrimp where as grade SS will probably run you about $25/shrimp. You'd want to buy at least 10 and preferably a few more to start off your breeding colony.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow thats a lot. How many babies can they have at once? Is it similar to cherry shrimp? Do they grow at a similar speed to cherry shrimp??

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
wow thats a lot. How many babies can they have at once? Is it similar to cherry shrimp? Do they grow at a similar speed to cherry shrimp??
Slower and smaller clutches, Cherries on average are about 20-40 eggs per time, and CRS are like about 20 per and then a few don't make it usually.....

It also takes longer for them babies to mature.

That is why the high grades are expensive....

-Andrew

btw, saw some pictures of SSS golden CRS no red just white and gold. They are AMAZING!!!

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Sorry but I would like to see these SS grades going for $25. Hino Maru go for an easy $100+ and are only consider a high S grade I would love to see these SS grades. If you want to make money breeding CRS stick with breeding S grades the ones with four white stripes, because its seems nobody wants to fork out the money for the higher grades yet until the prices drop. I would have to say CRS are the most popular shrimp. I would say cherry would be #2.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I got an offer from someone selling S grades for $20 a peice...that sounds about what they go for. Is 10 enough to start a breeding group of them?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
10 is enough as long as you got a few females. I started off with five in one of my tank and now have over 50. Good luck with your breeding.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Anything that is a dwarf shrimp but a CRS. To me, CRS are quite overrated.
Definately do Caridina cf. babaulti. I love green shrimp and any variety of shrimp with black colour morphs. Maybe some of those Malyasian shimps. I'd do easy to breed but not to common, so more people can have them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts