The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male CPO that suffered a horrendous molt last week. To the point it doesn't even make sense to me HOW a bad molt would do this. Half the front of his little face is gone (mandibles??) and both big claws are crooked and twisted to the right. His shell is sunk in right behind his head. As far as I can tell he can not eat. I separated him out so the others wouldn't kill him but if he can't eat he's just going to starve to death. I wanted to try to get him through to the next molt but he just doesn't look good at all. And today he's started to grow a fuzz on both his claws because he can't move them. I know clove oil and freezer stuff works for fish so is there anything quick and as painless as possible to do for this guy?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
This is a huge debate you see over and over again with sick fish. Some go all out and make all kinds of mixtures like clove oil and vodka to dump them in that supposedly makes them go to sleep and die quickly. Some say the freezing, which to me, seems a bit cruel as it's not an instant way. Especially with crays that can tolerate lots of cold, they would probably take the cold for a while. I'm more of a in a bag and hammer method. Some say it seems more cruel but it's fast and instant. Would you rather be frozen to death, slowly poisoned to death, or poof, over in a split second with a hammer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
All three of them sound awful. But I would choose the hammer =P
This is a huge debate you see over and over again with sick fish. Some go all out and make all kinds of mixtures like clove oil and vodka to dump them in that supposedly makes them go to sleep and die quickly. Some say the freezing, which to me, seems a bit cruel as it's not an instant way. Especially with crays that can tolerate lots of cold, they would probably take the cold for a while. I'm more of a in a bag and hammer method. Some say it seems more cruel but it's fast and instant. Would you rather be frozen to death, slowly poisoned to death, or poof, over in a split second with a hammer.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I got rid of a sick fish, wasn't bouncing back and he didn't look happy at all.

Sooo I turned on the garbage disposal then put the fish in there. Instant death.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
im gonna go against the grain and say, try to nurse him back to health... usually the only thing that cannot be recovered is loss of organs like an eye... but limbs and legs and outer shell can all regenerate. being humane means more than how to kill swiftly...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im gonna go against the grain and say, try to nurse him back to health... usually the only thing that cannot be recovered is loss of organs like an eye... but limbs and legs and outer shell can all regenerate. being humane means more than how to kill swiftly...

But the point is he can't eat. And now he has fungus growing on his claws cause he can't move them. I'd love to nurse him back to health...been trying for 3 days now. Not sure how long they can go without food but my guess is he'd starve to death before he could molt again. I'll try to get some pics this afternoon. He looks straight out of District 9:(

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i would have to say boil. for the fact it kills 2 birds with one stone so to speak. if its growin fuzz on its claws its got a bacteria or fungal prob so boiling will both kill the cray fast and help steralize any net used. i just had to do this with a fish as well. so not fun even when you know its for the better

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They can go months without eating, I say let him go to his next molt.

From your description it wasn't a bad molt, it was that he was attacked after a molt when his shell was still soft.
If they can go months without eating then I'll keep up the good fight then:) Wonder if I could add a dash of Pimafix with him to try to get rid of his fuzz. It honestly looks like biolfilm...similar to the grayish fuzz that grows on driftwood.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.