The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am using the two 15w 18" bulbs that came with my aquarium. I realize this is insufficient but I can't afford to upgrade my lighting right now. What can I do to maximize the effectivness of my current lighting situation? Does the kelvin rating even matter with such low intensity lighting? If anybody has any tips or ideas for a cheap way to increase plant growth it would be greatly appreciated. BTW my tank is already planted with anubias, swords and hygro.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
What size is your tank?

Kelvins between 5000-10,000 are all generally fine for FW plant growth. The difference between them is personal taste.

The best way to increase plant growth would be to add CO2 to the tank, and increase lighting and develop a fertilization regime in proportion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a 55g tank and have been using flourish and flourish excell.

Are these even helping? Everything grows so slowly anyway I wonder if im just wasting money.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Light is the primary factor that controls how fast plants grow. Your current lighting is so low that this is the main reason your plants aren't doing much. You probably don't need any fertilization at your current light level, the plants most likely can get everything they need from your livestock, given your tank is moderately stocked.

If you want more growth from your plants, you'll need to upgrade your light fixture.

Then you'll have to decide how MUCH you want the plants to grow- you could set up a "high tech" tank with moderate to high lighting and a pressurized CO2 setup, or stay "low tech" and increase the light levels from where they are now, but not so much that you'd need CO2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts