The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since, I have received alot of RAOK's recently, I have decided to give back to the community.

How to play:

Post your best study tip. One entry per person.
Ex: Start studying right when you get home. Review for a test the week before.

Subjects:

-Math

-Spanish

The people with the best study tips are the winners. I will choose 3 winners Sunday, 12/9/12.

Winner will receive trimmings of all my tanks. Winner must pay $7 shipping by 5 P.M, or I will move on to the next person.

Trimmings may include:

-HC

-Glosso

-Floaters (Thanks HighDesert and Bartohog!)

-Mosses

-Rotala Green

·
Registered
763 Posts
Go back over the material later the same day..then another review when you find out when test is...then a final review night before test

·
Registered
363 Posts
Writing flash cards on the main points in the material such as dates or definitions, makes it easy to review many times.

If your a visual learner (like I am) you can make a Powerpoint slideshow, which is similar to flashcards but with added charts, pictures, or graphs.

Really depends on the subject your studying, but these worked well for me at the times. Make sure always to review day night before and day of the test, that way it is fresh on your mind! Thanks for hosting the RAOK and good luck to everyone

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you've got a sweet tooth you can place an m&m at the end of each paragraph in your readings and eat it upon completion of the paragraph considering you have moderate self control. You can assemble a folder of your favorite planted tank photography and replace the m&m with a single picture (try not to get inspired to re-scape) theres a website that exists that shows you different pictures of kittens upon completion of writing a certain amount of words lol. The brain's reward complex is an interesting thing.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm rather unconventional in my study approach, but I've always found gleaning the facts/points you find interesting in the material and making notes makes it easier to remember the more mundane or less interesting stuff surrounding it. For instance, my stepdaughter is studying Onate and his conquests here in NM. She couldn't remember his route until I reminded her about the statue in Espanola that kept getting its feet cut off. Once I told her about that she was able to retain a lot more because of the associations. Hopefully this helps a little!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
When the opportunity arises, teach and explain to someone else the information you have learnt and bring your understanding of the topic to a whole new level.

·
Registered
131 Posts
making up catchy songs or using exiting tunes and filling them in with the information in its respective subjects really help me. rhyming poems help too

·
Registered
307 Posts
Get all your notes and rewrite them in a shorter version and exclude the info you don't need. Right when you're about to sleep, review your version of the notes or the ones taken in class, and when done, take your well needed sleep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I always take the easy approach... The night before a test, I'll open my math book to the chapter and use it as a pillow. At least some people say it works!! :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
415 Posts
Being in nursing school myself and having to do A LOT of reading I can completely sympathize with this.

First find out what type of learner you are: visual, auditory or kinesthetic/tactile.
If you're reading a dry chapter skim first by reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph, the topic sentence and closer (they cover everything that will be in that paragraph). Put the book down for a while.

Later when you've picked it back up highlight the important stuff only! Not entire sentences or paragraphs!! Highlighting should be 5 words in a row max.
Or if you can't/don't want to highlight, write a bullet point per paragraph.

I do both. :)

The main goal is to break down the information into the smallest amount so that it easier to remember and you're able to remember all of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For math:

Study all formulas, then do a whole bunch of practice questions until you see the formulas in the question itself. Try to understand the formulas before you do the questions. For me I always study 2 days before, and the a refresher on the day of! Also eat breakfast before a test if it's in the morning.

Spanish:

I say use index cards to remember the words. Or just speak to someone who's fluent in Spanish until the test.

If those tips don't seem to work:

Take 2-3 shots and repeat both again. If you are buzzed while studying, remember to do the same before the test.

Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I personally study right before the test/quiz/exam that way it's fresh in your head. Be sure to give yourself enough time though. Flashcards work too. Especially for Spanish. For math I would do castle learning for practice problems. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Math:
Math is complicated in general, but I am lazy so i always find the short cut. Find that short cut it will break down the complexity. Ie: To solve the differential equation of say : z(t)y" + k(t)y'+ r(t)y=g(t) ......The short cut will be the answer. Short cut for this is that the answer will most alway look like this : y(t) = e^rt and y(t)=e^-rt (yes there are more steps but.. its one of the many shortcuts :) ) (Hahah its been awhile..since i did some math..going off memory.... but thats how i managed to get good grades in my math courses)

Muuussssttt......ffffiiiinnnnndd....that....shhhhhhooooorrrrrttt .... cccuuuttt!!!

Spanish :
I had a girlfriend that can speak spanish at the time i was taking that class in college.... so ..... Get a girlfriend/boyfriend or find a friend that can speak spanish.. by acutally using what you've learned to conversate thats the golden ticket to learning another language...

Happy studying...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Math:
Try to be done studying the day before the day before the test.

Unless you're a math major, don't bother trying to understand formulas after Calc I. It's a waste of time, so instead work two practice problems for every problem type.

Write down the formulas you need to memorize, put them all on one page in a plastic page protector, and memorize in the shower. Ignoring your hot water bill, you'll be shocked at how much you can get done.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a general tip for studying and tests: don't cram. Stop studying early the night before and go to bed. Don't even look at your books in the morning, get a good breakfast and don't overdo the caffeine. Do your studying in advance, as you get the material. Anything I tried to memorize overnight for school, I can guarantee I don't remember a darn thing now. But the stuff I took the time to understand, the stuff I broke down in my head until it made sense to me? It's still there ten, fifteen years later.

And if you're having trouble with math, try to do at least five of each type of problem that you need to learn. My sister told me once that five repetitions is the minimum for putting something in long term memory. Don't just do one practice problem and assume you got it. Keep doing more and check your answers to be sure you're doing them correctly.

I also have the least practical tip for studying Spanish ever: study another language in the same family, like Latin. It made me understand what was going on grammatically, and vocabulary was a snap. Comparative linguistics is actually really fun, seeing how words are related from one language to the next (or not at all, in some cases).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Math: If you don't know it by test time you wont know it. Math is either you know it or don't.

Spanish: No say nada en espanol (I can't spell in spanish)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Here's something really creative.

Print out all your notes that your going to study with. *math = equations*
tape your notes or equations to the wall around your room. Sit in a chair that can spin and grab a handball. Take the hand ball and randomly throw it against the wall with the papers. whatever the ball hits, you need to take the sheet off and study off of it. Then move on to the next ones. Then you keep eliminating all the sheets this way.

As a reward at the end go eat something you are craving

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I never look at notes, books etc. in the last 24 hours before a test. It tends to make me remember the last thing I looked at and blur the rest. Make sure you have plenty of time to get to the test, if you rush in at the last second you are likely to rush on the test. On a math test if you don't know it skip it and come back to it later there is a decent chance another question on the test may be similar and spark a memory on how to solve the one you skipped. If you have an aha moment while doing another problem go back to the problem that was troubling you next and solve it while it is fresh in your mind. Working a problem you don't have any idea on will only frustrate you and likely make you do worse on the test.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Math and Spanish could have been my worst subjects ever. I did horrible.
But for school now, [veterinary technitian] which I do online, I read and highlight my book and make and outline of it. I'm given a study guide online, which I then read and add information to my outline. Then I read from that, but only glancing. It refreshes my memory, but I feel it's better than drilling it, as I've already done th5!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts