The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Hello what’s the best and easiest too care for moss I’m trying too grow emersed on drift wood and should I lay it on sphagnum moss or by it self ? Thanks
If its part of one continious moss patch, it will wick water up itself for an inch, maybe 2. If you need farther then that the best way is to pump water via a line from the water up the branch to the top and let it trickle down through your moss patch.

Intermediate between those 2 you can try having the water wick up a material like hygrolon. The downside to that is that hygrolon (or similar products) are pretty ugly until they are completely covered with moss. They will get you about 6 inches of water wicking before they stop working.

I have not found sphagnum moss to do well wicking water. They do fine holding water, so if you want to heavily water the plants every day, that might work for you. But it will not maintain itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have some mini Christmas moss that I attached right at the water line in my tank in two different spots. It may be hard to see but it grows a really nice compact green right at the water line, and about 1”-1.5” emersed. But after that it turns brown, and I actually spray it with water for about 20 seconds everyday. So you if you’re not getting constant water with this particular moss you would have to try the sphagnum/hyrgolon route.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some mini Christmas moss that I attached right at the water line in my tank in two different spots. It may be hard to see but it grows a really nice compact green right at the water line, and about 1”-1.5” emersed. But after that it turns brown, and I actually spray it with water for about 20 seconds everyday. So you if you’re not getting constant water with this particular moss you would have to try the sphagnum/hyrgolon route.
If its part of one continious moss patch, it will wick water up itself for an inch, maybe 2. If you need farther then that the best way is to pump water via a line from the water up the branch to the top and let it trickle down through your moss patch.

Intermediate between those 2 you can try having the water wick up a material like hygrolon. The downside to that is that hygrolon (or similar products) are pretty ugly until they are completely covered with moss. They will get you about 6 inches of water wicking before they stop working.

I have not found sphagnum moss to do well wicking water. They do fine holding water, so if you want to heavily water the plants every day, that might work for you. But it will not maintain itself.
thanks dude gonna see if my lfs sells this hygrolon material so what do you think is a hardy moss that I can start with

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
thanks dude gonna see if my lfs sells this hygrolon material so what do you think is a hardy moss that I can start with
Well if you are growing the same moss underwater as above I would just use java moss. If you don't care if they are the same, I would go out to a forest and pick up some terrestrial moss (if this is near your lights, then I would get one in full sun). And then I would gently clean it and use that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts