The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading up on moss walls but cant figure out how to get the moss to stay to the back. I know that I need those croche(spl) knitting grids but how do I stick it on?

-James

P.S. What other plants would I be able to attach to the wall? I was thinking Pellia or Java Fern or Anubias but am not sure.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Sandwich the moss between two pieces of mesh. Sew on 4 magnets to the 4 corners of the mesh. Put the mesh against your back wall. Use 4 magnets out the outside of the tank to "stick" the mesh to the back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Or you could sew the moss to the plastic grid.
You could also use vinyl screen, if you want it to maybe flow into a carpet, or be able to bend over & around things instead of being rigid.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I just put the moss between to plastic mesh and take fishing line to sew it shut. Then I use suction cups to stick it on the Glass.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Some fish like to get behind a moss wall, where if they die they decay and pollute the tank. That was my experience. And, unless you first have the algae under good control I don't think a moss wall is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Some fish like to get behind a moss wall, where if they die they decay and pollute the tank. That was my experience.
This depends on the wall material you use. I am using the craft grid stuff, and not even my shrimp can get behind it is so tight and extends into the corners.

regards,

joel

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
What is the craft grid stuff sold to be used for? I may try some before too long. And, how do you keep it solidly against the back glass?

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can buy the black grid at Michael's craft store. It is called plastic needlepoint grid. It comes in about a zillion colors but I prefer black. I have heard of magnets being used to hold a moss wall against the wall of a tank which I thought was ingenious. You silicone magnets on to the back of the plastic grid and then place magnets on the outside of the tank to keep the wall in place.

I have also sewn plant anchors on to this type of grid with fishing line and used it to grow out various mosses instead of using stainless steel mesh.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
i use suction cups. all four corners and along edge and in center for a big wall. it is rigid enough that it stays flat.

you can get the stuff in just about any craft store. the bigger the square size, the better. black or green.

regards, joel

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
You can buy the black grid at Michael's craft store. It is called plastic needlepoint grid. It comes in about a zillion colors but I prefer black. I have heard of magnets being used to hold a moss wall against the wall of a tank which I thought was ingenious. You silicone magnets on to the back of the plastic grid and then place magnets on the outside of the tank to keep the wall in place.

I have also sewn plant anchors on to this type of grid with fishing line and used it to grow out various mosses instead of using stainless steel mesh.
Its amazing that I went searching for that on monday and couldn't find any... Looked up and down EVERY ISLE!! looked for a loong time in the needlepoint isle but all they had was the reall stuff thats a fabric type mesh grid.

Does anyone have a link to order it online? I might just plunge and buy 5sq feet of SS and have it cut at school, or I might do plastic grid not too sure.. This is mainly for tying moss down on the ground opposed to the wall...

----

For my wall I used gutter mesh that you get at HD or Lowes. Its a bit small but moss eventually gets thru it. My otto hasn't killed himself yet and neither have any of my shrimp. But it is an algae magnet!

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I buy it a the 100yen shop in Japan it come is big roll. Try your $1 shop.
I'll have to look there! Great Idea! I'm guessing this type is the soft mesh though?

-Andrew

Ohh also looking at the prices SS might be alright since 1 foot cut into 4 square inch pieces goes a loooong way:hihi:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I haven't made a moss wall yet, but have recently been reading a lot about it and I'm almost positive that the "needlepoint canvas" everyone's taking about is really called plastic canvas. It's not really used for needlepoint ~ it's used for a very basic type of cross stitch. But don't ask for "cross stitch canvas" either. Traditional needlepoint and cross stitch are finer needle crafts done on a supple fabric usually made of organic fiber such as cotton, so if you ask for "needlepoint canvas" or "cross stitch canvas", you'll get a supple fabric with teeny tiny squares.

The plastic canvas is rigid and, obviously, made of plastic instead of an organic fiber. Here's a link to one place to buy it online, BUT I think the 14 count would be too small of a grid to use for a moss wall ("14 count" means 14 squares to the inch): Plastic Canvas 8-1/2''x11'' 2/Pkg

It does come in sizes with larger holes/squares. I think seven to the inch is the largest commonly available. Just not from Joann's. Try Michael's, Hobby Lobby and even WalMart, though WM's phasing out a lot of their craft things. And remember to ask for "plastic canvas". If they look at you funny, add that it's for the "cross stitch type needlework" and they should know exactly what you're talking about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts