The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have some java/christmas/phoenix mosses. All the mosses seem to be really stringy and not too healthy looking.. Long stems with spots of brown. Any thoughts? Iron deficiency? Looking for the lush growth, all other plants are doing exceptional. 30 gallon, was 1 39watt t5ho but just added another bulb to see if they need more light so.. 2x 39watt t5h0, excel, micros, macros when needed.. GH-5.. pH seems to be high at 7.8-8.0.. I don't get why my pH is so high, i only top off and do water changes with 100% RO water.. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mosses tend to like lower light, so maybe you don't want both bulbs. I've also read many times that excel will harm mosses, So maybe lay off of that stuff for a little while and see what happens.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mosses are easy to grow IMO, they are like weeds in my tanks. They even attach themselves on my HOB and started growing partially out of water. Even with High PH or brackish water most mosses will still grow.

The brown stuff from my experience is caused by too much light. Try putting a control group in a bucket of tank water. They require very little light to thrive. As a matter of fact, if theres enough light for you to see the Moss....its getting enough light.

Any photos?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.