The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a piece of driftwood that sticks about 1-2 inches above the water-line in my tank, and I'm curious if anyone knows a good-looking moss that would climb the wood and leave the water?

I have a small piece of Java Moss on there now - only a thread or two - and it looks like it's dying in certain spots but still growing in others. I have a Planted+ hanging 5-6 inches above the water, so it gets pretty direct light.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Some of the wood sticking out will be wicked wet. Take a nice frond of java moss and flatten it over the wet area like a raggedy plaster, with only the tips in the water. It grows beautifully like this, instead of just reaching for the light. I have tried a few times to photograph mine, but my camera is hopeless at capturing it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Some of the wood sticking out will be wicked wet. Take a nice frond of java moss and flatten it over the wet area like a raggedy plaster, with only the tips in the water. It grows beautifully like this, instead of just reaching for the light. I have tried a few times to photograph mine, but my camera is hopeless at capturing it.

Do you think this would work for most mosses, bar the Fissidens species? Was thinking of doing this with Weeping Moss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If it is mostly out of the water, some of the tiny leafed Pilea plants would also be nice. Tie it on with some Spanish moss. I see these tiny little plants hanging over and out of bird bath planters and the like. They love humidity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.