The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you grow moss on say, an olive nerite snail? A little dab of superglue, sprinkle on a little moss.... not saying I would condone such behavior! :confused1:

Just kinda curious if anyone has creeping moss balls out there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ha ha, you could do that to a turtle. It would be even funnier on a turtle, and it would have more space to spread.

:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean like a walking island sort of thing? Oohhh...

It's a little too inhumane even for my wicked self, to attach moss to a snail. Even a small faux-hawk would be needless suffering to an animal. Fun to imagine for sure.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There was a post I made a while back about a turtle so slow-moving that he had grown a mohawk of moss.

With that being said, it seems cruel to superglue moss to a snail.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Some people crush snails on the side of the glass! (When they have hundreds...)

I did it a couple times and I felt bad. Snails are cute... I have a dozen or so little snails in my 10 gallon.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I guess it wouldn't be too much different than what people do to their hermit crabs. You can buy whole kits to paint their shells, glue glitter and fake jewels on them, or decorate them with stickers. But then again, a hermit crab's shell isn't so permanent as a snail's.

I don't think having moss growing on it would affect the snail's health, but I'd worry about the chemicals in the glue, and whether or not it was too difficult for the snail to carry that heavy load around.

·
Registered
567 Posts
That is true, I forgot that people used superglue on corals. I know it's safe to use on skin; doctors use it to fix cuts that aren't bad enough for stitches. I just worried about it in the water.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have very soft tap water, so I routinely paint my apple snails with clear nail polish to prevent shell erosion. I've been doing this for about 10 years with no ill effects, in fact, the painted snails fare better in soft water than their unpainted counterparts. I'm not the only person who does this either- you can read all about how to reinforce snail shells with glue and nail polish on applesnail.net. As long as you're careful not to get any polish on the body of the snail, the polish won't hurt the snail.

I doubt that gluing a small piece of moss to the snail would cause much stress or damage to the snail. A huge piece of moss might eventually grow too large for the snail to carry, but if you kept it trimmed short, I can't see why it would be much different than the bba that tends to grow on the shells.

I wouldn't try using silicone, though, since it takes hours/days to dry. Superglue and nail polish dry within 5-10 minutes, and are generally considered safe as long as you let them dry completely before using underwater.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
:hihi: I sure enjoyed reading this thread!! Why did you start this?

Got a link to a picture of your tank, leaf?

·
Registered
113 Posts
lol, I had fun reading this too... creeping moss balls :)

snails are s cute, I like watching their rasping tongues on the side of the glass... and their little antennae type things, its cute :3
but my water is too acidic for the little cuties :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I posted this, I was actually hoping to see some snail-with-hairdos pr0n.
I just love my nerites that much! :biggrin:

No pics of my tanks... yet. Both are less than 2 weeks old with experimental substrate, so keeping TOO close of an eye on them to take pics. Will do soon though, at least to track growth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts