The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have some left over Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri) from my daughters tank.

I have put this Moss into a clear pvc container hoping it will grow.

My question is: Will this Moss grow if put by a window? Do i have to add some ferts to the water? It is only the Moss in there noe fish/fishfood.

Jnad

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think it will grow if you feed it. I'd put a cupful of tank water in on a regular basis.

There's lots of liquid plant fertilizers that aren't safe for aquarium use that would be helpful in this type of setup. I don't know if you have Miracle Gro brand in Norway, but that's what I'd use here (it's what I use for houseplants).

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
My question is: Will this Moss grow if put by a window? Do i have to add some ferts to the water? It is only the Moss in there noe fish/fishfood.

Jnad
it will grow. Just change the water often.

I have mine in a small cup and had the water change at least twice a day.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't change the water nearly that often. I keep moss in a small container. I have a bit of Eco Complete and Fluval plant stratum in there, and added some MTS. I also have some hornwort and moss in a 16 oz "snowglobe" with only a few ramshorn snails. I never change that water. Just drop a couple of shrimp pellets in there a few times a week to feed the snails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So should I take it out of my tank to yield more. I run pressurized co2 and 2 6500k coralife bulbs on a 20 long and I have Java and flame moss

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I would think that unless your tank s very full of plants, it would not get better results.
In a tank with a lot of plants, the plants may use up most of the nutrients so the moss
would not get as much of them. But this is only if you were fertilizing the container/w the moss that it may grow faster outside the tank.
You may have heard about what we call MTS(multiple tank syndrome).
A joke that we say people who keep aquariums get this psycalogical disorder that makes them keep buying more tanks...
So it is common for lots of us to just have a small jar/vase etc. in a window shelf
or other place where it may get natural sunlight. This usually contains moss but
might also have other small plants and/or a small fish.
It's a decoration type thing instead of a deliberate attempt to grow more moss.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts