The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just been reading all of RESguy's Journay (up to pg 15)...I bought Java moss and other plants from ebay. My Java looks like the Java RESguy got that has the "algea from Hell" I have only seen pictures of Java Moss, so I assumed that was part of it. I have this "algea from Hell" attaching itself to a rock formation in my 5.5g...I have had it for several months now...I do hate the stringy stuff...I am assuming that the thick "stems" is the true Java Moss? I am going to clean this stuff out ASAP!

I will take pictures of the "Java" when I get home and post pictures in a seperate post, so look back later tonight...I also have a picture or 2 of My ghost shrimp...I think you can see her eggs.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Post the pics, lets have a look :icon_neut
I will...I have taken it out of my 5.5g and put it in a holding cup I use for my Betta when I change the water in the tank/bowls.

I also have started painstakingly pulling the Java Moss out of this stuff...Thank God for microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I am adding pictures to this post....

I think you can see the "algea from Hell"....is that what it is?

I am going to post my ghost pictures here and on my thread for her, you can see her eggs...

I took this one a few days ago...

I took this one just a few minutes ago...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
thread (or hair) algae

Not anywhere as bad as staghorn algae in my opinion.

Of course I have a tank of hundreds of cherry shrimp who take care of all that for me.

When I occassionally get it on a plant in my other tanks, I just put it in the 55g with all the cherries for a few hours. Comes back out sparkling clean. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ditto on the hair/thread algae. Clado is much greener with an almost brillo pad texture. Have you tried excel or H2O2 on it? I'd first remove as much as you can, then treat it. You know what works great is a toothpick. Take a toothpick and start twirlling it in the algae.

Let us know if the lil shrimpies make it. I'm not sure what type of "ghost" shrimp you have, but maybe someone in the shrimp section can help identify it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ditto on the hair/thread algae. Clado is much greener with an almost brillo pad texture. Have you tried excel or H2O2 on it? I'd first remove as much as you can, then treat it. You know what works great is a toothpick. Take a toothpick and start twirlling it in the algae.

Let us know if the lil shrimpies make it. I'm not sure what type of "ghost" shrimp you have, but maybe someone in the shrimp section can help identify it.
I got the ghost shrimp at Walmart...probably some crossbreed. I haven't posted her picture on the shrimp thread yet...sorry.

Another easy trick is to use a CLEAN toothbrush. Do the same as mentioned above, just grab some and twirl. ;)
Great tips (both of you)...I will try that (I don't have a clean toothbrush, so I will have to get a cheap one from Walmart)...I finally got all of the 5.5g cleaned, and I still have the big ball in the pictures to go. I got this from an ebay purchase. Serves me right! LOL Should have begged the SnS for some:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You think that's algae from hell? You should see my tank.
...post pictures...I'd like to see that I am not the only one growing algae :hihi: I have been dealing with what I think is BBA...it is very dark! I would call it black...when I let it go for more than a few days, it gets long and wavy...anything eat this? It is in my 5.5g (is that a nano tank?)...I have 2 guppy, and 2 female betta in this tank...thinking of moving the female betta to my 10g at home, so adding another fish is not a problem. This tank is at work, and I sometimes forget to turn the lights off...I know this is what is causing my algae, but if I could find something to eat this, that would be great....OH! I also have 2 red/orange ramshorn? snails in there, added those not even a week ago...no ponds though...I have ponds and trumpets at home.

some excel would clear that up
Will it clear it up even though there is a lot? That huge "ball" is probably 75-80% this stuff...like I posted earlier...I received it with all this stuff in it...had I known what it was, I would have cleaned it out while the "ball" was a lot smaller...I grow algae great LOL! I have been working since yesterday to get it "cleaned out"...I don't have any excel yet...another trip to the petstore :icon_smil

·
Registered
845 Posts
OMG! Hey, you can always roll it up into a ball and call it "Copycat Marimo Ball" . Cheaper than the real thing. LOL:tongue:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
375 Posts
I throw away that stuff every month. It grows a little more before I throw it out. It's nothing but hair algae I think. Definitely was not something I bought!

Surprisingly, it's not slimy! It feels dry. I removed that from one of my tanks to seed an emergency fry tank that was needed. Worked well, didn't even mini cycle!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts