The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to set up my first planted tank and trying to get into the hobby and I have quite a few questions I can't seem to find by searching.

First Question-
I have a picture in my head of what I want it to look like which includes some moss around some rocks, a dense stem plant in one corner, dwarf hair grass, petite Nana, and then some thinker taller grass in 2 small spots.

Which moss would grow really close the the ground, that would be close in replicating the moss that grows on tree trucks in the woods? I have been suggested mini weeping, but I can't find it anywhere. I could solve this by seeing an example of the mosses in person, but don't want to blow my whole budget on ordering different mosses (raok arent going my way either, I'm unlucky with numbers i guess) Other ideas include...

- Coral Moss "riccardia chamedryfolia" - but I have no idea what it looks like in person.

- Nano Moss "amblystegium serpens" - Again cant find but some say its just a moss ball unrolled and that's hard to attach as a carpet between rocks.

- Fissidens fontanus - Easier to find, will buy along with other moss to go on drift wood.

- If I cant find any of my top mosses, I guess I will resort to java moss but it doesn't have the look I am going for, plus I generally don't like to go with what everyone has.

Second question-
How much Dwarf Hair Grass should I order to carpet... say... a 6"x8" floor area. Can I plant them more densely to speed along the carpeting process?

Third question -
I bought ada aqua soil powder which I know has additives in it that helps plants first start. Would these additives disappear if I hardscaped the tank a week or so before filling and planting?

Forth question -
Stem plants... so many to choose from. Like I said I want one corner densely planted, then 2 small areas with a grass like plant that will sway in the waves if there were any. I have no idea which to even start looking for, for a low-medium light, no-CO2 tank while still being uncommon.

Some I like are...
-Potamogeton Gayi - Just found this one and think it will match what I am going for perfectly.
-Hygrophila pinnatifida
- Egeria najas - I'm unsure about this one as it doesn't look exciting, but is easy
- Creeping Jenny - Almost too common, but Easy and grows fast for a first tank that might be nice
- Star Grass - Maybe not the look I am going for, but its easy and somewhat interesting
- Creeping Charlie - I really like how it sends out small flowers if it reaches the top
- Mayaca sellowiana
- Myriphyllum Aquaticum - I really like this one, but seems harder to care for
- Water Sprite - Again harder to care for
- Water Hyssop/Bacopa
- Echinodorus "Vesuvius"
- Hygrophila pinnatifida
- Riccia Fluitans

Then I am having a very hard time locating members who have some of these if any, I tend to like to buy from fellow hobbyists and everyone says members tend to send healthier plants.

Any advice in general on these plants would help, if you sell them I'm looking to buy next week. Pictures by a reference I would know helps hugely.

Thanks, sorry for all the newbie questions.

Chris

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
1st: Most moss ive seen tends to reach for the skies over time and can be used to carpet, just need to keep tying it down/trimming it. Id recommend peacock or xmas moss, but mainly for the look of them (luve the evergreen look they have).

2nd: If you get proper CO2/fertz, etc hair grass will grow p fast and will send littel runners all around the tank. I think within a month you could get close to a 6x8 carpet with just a single potted portion of it (split up and evenly spaced). I havent tried w/o CO2, but would be much more difficult and I would recomend CO2 if you going to try

3rd: No you will be fine, I would just recomend not putting any water in until you are ready to plant. Use the pdf from adana-usa.com under FAQs for layout setup (would link if site wasnt down). Substrate additives should be ok.

4th: Id recomened Bacopa if you are looking for something with green color,does well with non-co2, gives a nice lush appearance. IMO of course. But most the plants you listed really like CO2, Ive tried a few without and they die miserably.

Hope this helped, but again if you want a large selection of plants, especialy less common ones, you are going to want CO2....

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on placing water sprite, I currently have mine planted, I was unaware that it was meant to be a floating plant, should I just kind of wrap it around my intake pipe or something else I would like to hide, to keep it in place, or let it get kicked around the tank by my filter output until it finds it's own home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on placing water sprite, I currently have mine planted, I was unaware that it was meant to be a floating plant, should I just kind of wrap it around my intake pipe or something else I would like to hide, to keep it in place, or let it get kicked around the tank by my filter output until it finds it's own home?

I havent personally tried it but there is some good info here looks like several people grow it submerged w/o issue. May need CO2 tho.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Submerged meaning in the substrate?..that's how I had it, it was growing, with no co2, but I just pulled it and kind of wrapped it around my intake, I assume It will get more light there at the surface, I just hope the slight current doesn't bother it

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1st: Most moss ive seen tends to reach for the skies over time and can be used to carpet, just need to keep tying it down/trimming it. Id recommend peacock or xmas moss, but mainly for the look of them (luve the evergreen look they have).

2nd: If you get proper CO2/fertz, etc hair grass will grow p fast and will send littel runners all around the tank. I think within a month you could get close to a 6x8 carpet with just a single potted portion of it (split up and evenly spaced). I havent tried w/o CO2, but would be much more difficult and I would recomend CO2 if you going to try

3rd: No you will be fine, I would just recomend not putting any water in until you are ready to plant. Use the pdf from under FAQs for layout setup (would link if site wasnt down). Substrate additives should be ok.

4th: Id recomened Bacopa if you are looking for something with green color,does well with non-co2, gives a nice lush appearance. IMO of course. But most the plants you listed really like CO2, Ive tried a few without and they die miserably.

Hope this helped, but again if you want a large selection of plants, especialy less common ones, you are going to want CO2....
Thanks for the response. and answering all my questions.

I am trying to stay away from CO2 at this point but we will see how the first planting goes and maybe do a DIY set-up. For now I re-looked at the plant list, and didnt go with them, instead went with some that should do ok with no CO2.

Chris

·
Registered
327 Posts
Submerged meaning in the substrate?..that's how I had it, it was growing, with no co2, but I just pulled it and kind of wrapped it around my intake, I assume It will get more light there at the surface, I just hope the slight current doesn't bother it

No i mean in water, not floating :) But again no exp with this plant, but sound like that might work

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for the response. and answering all my questions.

I am trying to stay away from CO2 at this point but we will see how the first planting goes and maybe do a DIY set-up. For now I re-looked at the plant list, and didnt go with them, instead went with some that should do ok with no CO2.

Chris
Sweet, yeah CO2 is a whole nother level, good idea to start small. Excel is highly recommended for low tech. I use it in mine :)

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
You, can plant an end of it won't hurt it, none. It floats really nice too and will grow like a weed. I pull mine out every week for trimming

-Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet, yeah CO2 is a whole nother level, good idea to start small. Excel is highly recommended for low tech. I use it in mine :)
Am I correct with hearing somewhere that excel is not suggested with shrimp? Figured I would look into that once my tank is broke in and am actually buying stock but as-long as we are on the subject.

Current plan is plant and fill, one month break in, add Celestial Pearl Dainos (10-12), wait a month to see how water parameters are doing, get 6ish Tiger Shrimp.

Chris

·
Registered
327 Posts
Am I correct with hearing somewhere that excel is not suggested with shrimp? Figured I would look into that once my tank is broke in and am actually buying stock but as-long as we are on the subject.

Current plan is plant and fill, one month break in, add Celestial Pearl Dainos (10-12), wait a month to see how water parameters are doing, get 6ish Tiger Shrimp.

Chris
As long as its at the recomended dose you should be fine, but some shrimp like CRS seem to be more sensitive to it and if you overdose for algae control it will cause issues. If you do try it, do small doses and increment slowly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts