The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...this 20long CPD and neo environment was a lot more relaxing to look at until I put the moss avalanche in. Both species seem to appreciate the cave but I'd like to tidy it up as it is so messy...not sure if it just needs time to fill but it's so ugly. There's Phoenix, weeping, Christmas and flame moss

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of that moss looks like it's dead or dying. What's your water temperature? How about water flow?

That aside, I think it looks good and agree with the others - leave it. But definitely trim away the dead/dying bits.
I had the outlet pipe of the eheim 2211 flowing over the "mountain" but it was too brisk and the Phoenix moss kept getting swept off so it's in one of the pots that my terrestrials are in. Water is about 78. Lighting is an ordinary e27 6500k

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Don't be afraid to yank a lot of moss; you'll be surprised how much actually sticks to the rocks and will grow back. I've tried everything I could think of to rid myself of moss short of putting rocks and wood through the dishwater and they ALWAYS came back. I'm never going to put moss in a tank again unless it's intended to be fully mossed going forward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Temp may be a bit warm for moss but it's still doable. If it were me, I'd thin it out a bit - only use the green portions - and attach it either with thread or dabs of super glue gel. Gel is my preferred method because you can attach it to pretty much anything.
The Phoenix is the only free floating moss. The flame (lower left) is glued to a rock and the weeping came attached to ss mesh that I bent over another rock but I'll remove all the brown since it's not going to recover

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't be afraid to yank a lot of moss; you'll be surprised how much actually sticks to the rocks and will grow back. I've tried everything I could think of to rid myself of moss short of putting rocks and wood through the dishwater and they ALWAYS came back. I'm never going to put moss in a tank again unless it's intended to be fully mossed going forward.
LOL I swore off moss after java invaded frigging everything in another tank. But I thought these would be more manageable. Unfortunately it looks like it's the complete opposite outcome but I'll wait it out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.