The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello good people, can you kindly advice if my moss is still alive? It is a mini pelia, which I disinfected and quarantined for 4-5 days. I did so because I have shrimp in my tank and I wanted to make sure all pesticides are gone, as well as other parasites and pathogens.

I followed all steps closely as what a few articles suggested; disinfecting it with a 1:19 bleach solution, rinsing and changing water every 1-2 days. I add a couple of drops of Prime every change to make sure it's dechlorinated.

As I wanted to place them in the tank, I then noticed this melt, which didn't look good. There was another plant being quarantined together; that had melted leaves too, but it still looks more alive than this moss. Anyways, I immediately placed it in my tank using cyanoacrylate glue on the rock.

Articles also didn't state any word of possible melting during the suggested week-long quarantine, hence I feel confused now. Is this normal? Please enlighten a new aquarist. Thanks!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
So the issue might be the solution. It may be too strong, I'm not sure if you followed a general guide or a guide deemed for moss, I know for the most part they're sensitive to certain things. I never kept pelia so I'm not sure but I've definitely melted my Java moss with simply h2o2 solution.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the issue might be the solution. It may be too strong, I'm not sure if you followed a general guide or a guide deemed for moss, I know for the most part they're sensitive to certain things. I never kept pelia so I'm not sure but I've definitely melted my Java moss with simply h2o2 solution.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I used a general guide not specific to moss, but it was consistent in several articles so I thought it'd apply to all. Did your moss survive after melting? I guess I want to know if mine will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Some plants are more sensitive than others, and moss are among the more sensitive, especially to bleach.
AS to whether it will survive, that depends on whether there is living tissue still capable of growing, and whether you can keep algae out of it while the dead part decompose. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
I used a general guide not specific to moss, but it was consistent in several articles so I thought it'd apply to all. Did your moss survive after melting? I guess I want to know if mine will.
Yes, mine did, but partially melt it. I had to trim because melt will continue to spread.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some plants are more sensitive than others, and moss are among the more sensitive, especially to bleach.
AS to whether it will survive, that depends on whether there is living tissue still capable of growing, and whether you can keep algae out of it while the dead part decompose. Good luck.
Thanks dave, I guess I should use different methods in the future like h202 or alum. This was a learning experience indeed.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top