beautiful ;)
yours?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
beautiful ;)
yours?
Goodness! No. I found it on some Asian forum. It's too bad many claim it is not fully aquatic. But can you just imagine a carpet of that though? *droooooooooooooooooools*

However, I did get some variety of star moss from Jim. It grows but agonizingly slow and not as full as those in the pictures. Maybe mine is still too young. Too much trouble IMHO. That cushion effect can be achieved with F. sp. 'Miroshaki' with much more ease. My favorite! ...until something else comes along of course. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 quarter size Miroshaki and they have been growing extremely slow. One of beautiful variety of moss I love.
Try cutting them up to facilitate growth. This is one of those species that responds very well to pruning and destruction of healthy tissue. Its growth rate is perfect for me, slow but not agonizing like the Asian star moss, which do best in the shade. But since they are so dark green, you can't really tell that they're there anyway. So what's the point again? Ugh! Annoying little thing.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjuZsMc6teYrgpEnNlt-jiznJMOBKA

In the video, the ones in the foreground are 2 months after trimming. Behind them are those 1 month post-trimmed. And in the very back with the netting still showing are 1-2 weeks post transplanted (pulverized with scissors into tiny tiny pieces). These are grown in medium light with CO2. My dream of having a low-maintenance "mossy foreground" is almost here. Granted, I started out with a fairly large quantity of it and continues to hoard more...so if you're selling those two "quarters," then I'd take 'em. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Try cutting them up to facilitate growth. This is one of those species that responds very well to pruning and destruction of healthy tissue. Its growth rate is perfect for me, slow but not agonizing like the Asian star moss, which do best in the shade. But since they are so dark green, you can't really tell that they're there anyway. So what's the point again? Ugh! Annoying little thing.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjuZsMc6teYrgpEnNlt-jiznJMOBKA

In the video, the ones in the foreground are 2 months after trimming. Behind them are those 1 month post-trimmed. And in the very back with the netting still showing are 1-2 weeks post transplanted (pulverized with scissors into tiny tiny pieces). These are grown in medium light with CO2. My dream of having a low-maintenance "mossy foreground" is almost here. Granted, I started out with a fairly large quantity of it and continues to hoard more...so if you're selling those two "quarters," then I'd take 'em. :grin2:
UNbelievable! you have all that and i sent my part of my lil portion over :(:nerd:

beautiful
How do you go about cutting them though the fronds are so darned small.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UNbelievable! you have all that and i sent my part of my lil portion over :(:nerd:

beautiful
How do you go about cutting them though the fronds are so darned small.
:x lovvveeee uuuuuuuu Dennisssss. :x You're still the moss master with all those species you hoard. I simply curate my selections a bit more severely.

I literally use a pair of surgical scissors. Choppity chop chop! Make Bruce Lee noises while you're doing it. If you want it to fill in quicker then just cut once, perpendicularly to the midrib. I usually use a pair of tweezer to hold and cut as much as I can. Then spread them onto rocks and use a fine-grade mesh to hold the small pieces together. Bath luffas for the bigger pieces or tulle fabric for the finer ones. Then wait.

I like the tulle fabric better: smaller hole sizes and they stretch nicely: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjuZsMc6teYrgpEpRW1D3uMR_mOfuw

Have you ever tried propagating African violets where you bury a leaf into the soil? You know how they sprout clusters of new plants at the cut sites? It's the exact same thing with this Fissidens. Each cut site sprouts a bunch of new fronds for me. Of course I make it sound like it grows super fast but you already know that it's not true: it is still a Fissidens after all. The ones I don't prune do not seem to put out new leaves and just grow longer and longer...soooo snippity snip snip!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Love me, kill me, i love it love it, b4 i get lost i'm getting off. :)

It really truel,y does make sense to cut the fissidens and prop that way. I mean, ppl have great success grinding and cutting, maybe some scientifically cellular molecular level of atom growth, i cannot explain but makes sense.

My fronds are only like the size comparison of a quarter of a pea so, iono i'll wait i guesses.

Have you ever tried propagating African violets where you bury a leaf into the soil? You know how they sprout clusters of new plants at the cut sites? It's the exact same thing with this Fissidens. Each cut site sprouts a bunch of new fronds for me. Of course I make it sound like it grows super fast but you already know that it's not true: it is still a Fissidens after all. The ones I don't prune do not seem to put out new leaves and just grow longer and longer...soooo snippity snip snip!
No i haven't been to africa.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.