The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sold this as christamas moss, which it may well be. In the few areas of my aquarium that I've grown it in an organized fashion it has the right general shape...as do several other mosses. The thing that has me questioning the ID is that it attaches to things (driftwood, foam, smooth rocks) very well. I don't have a microscope, but I do have a point/click camera. Can anyone confirm/deny the ID on this?
(click for larger image)

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I didn't leave anything in those pictures for scale, but I'm pretty sure it isn't willow moss. Here's a picture of it in the tank. This is a clump I tore up recently, so it isn't particularly structured, but it gives you an idea of scale.

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's one that I didn't tear apart when I was making the moss wall trial earlier in the week. The sections I've drawn in are parts that broke off when I pulled it off of the driftwood. The parts growing off of the side shoots weren't present when I introduced the moss to the tank a few weeks ago, so I'm assuming it is part of adapting to a new tank/orientation.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
To be honest it just looks like some healthy java. I have a ton in my tank that looks just like it

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An updated picture. Still going on Christmas moss, although mostly because that's what it was sold to me as. It has attached its self to both the driftwood, and a fairly smooth chunk of granite if that helps any. Here's a picture of the growth now that I've let it grow without moving it a lot.
Large copy here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.