The Planted Tank Forum banner

Moss help

558 4
Hi

I have ordered some christmas moss for my 14L tank, although i have a few questions.

1. How should i attach it to driftwood, i know im going to be using thrread but do i want it to be spread out thin? remove any dead looking bits?

2. How do you get lush green growth? will i need to an a DIY co2 system? dose with easycarbo (will this affect my shrimp)? will i need any ferts for lush growth?

Thanks

Nick
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yes spread the moss thin and remove any brown bits. As far as growth, in my experience it enjoys colder waters. My two tanks with moss stay around 70 or so, they are both shrimp tanks though. I use no co2, ferts or anything and it grows great in low light.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used black sewing thread to tie my x-mas moss down to driftwood. It worked great and didn't show through or come undone.

As far as keeping it clean i had such a continuing challenge with mine that I tore it all out a couple of weeks ago. Moss loves to catch and breed hair algae so keep an old tooth brush handy as they work great to remove hair algae and detritus.

I'm growing x-mass moss again and when you keep up on your water parameters the hair algae stays in check.

Good luck moss is addicting. The top right of the picture i have under my name is Xmas moss taking over my tank! :icon_lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.