The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright im fairly new to planted tanks, i have two 2.5g tanks, i currently keep bettas in. I have been browsing the nano section and fell in love with some of your tanks! Great job guys! Im interested in this moss stuff you all have or grass growing on the bottom and making a carpet! its amazing looking and so natural! I love the natural look. I was wondering if there are any low light easy maintainable moss carpet or grass type plants i could get? My tanks dont get much light, i know java moss is a idea... but im not into the look of it... maybe i will try it... but im seeing what other options i have. Thank you :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not much will make good cover in a small low-light tank. To keep ground cover covering the ground you need high light and CO2, else it just grows upward. I have a 2.5g with 10 watts and no CO2 and every attempt at ground cover I've made has failed miserably. HC, dwarf hairgrass, even java moss.

Marsilea minuta might be worth a try...

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Moss carpets would probably be the best idea, you can do either something like Java or Taiwan moss. Another option is flame moss, which stands upright, or fissidens which grows shorter. My favorite though is marimo carpets, it gives a soft rolling grassy hills effect, and the color is gorgeous.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I have a Marimo Ball in my 10 gallon tank, and ive heard you can flatten them out and such, if i flattend it out and tied it to a rock or something would that grow eventually?

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! I have a Marimo Ball in my 10 gallon tank, and ive heard you can flatten them out and such, if i flattend it out and tied it to a rock or something would that grow eventually?
Yep, just tear it open and then tie it to some rocks to weigh it down

·
Registered
685 Posts
Moss carpets would probably be the best idea, you can do either something like Java or Taiwan moss. Another option is flame moss, which stands upright, or fissidens which grows shorter. My favorite though is marimo carpets, it gives a soft rolling grassy hills effect, and the color is gorgeous.

how can you make a carpet with the marimo balls? do you put patches in between mesh nets and place it above or a bit below the substrate? thank you.

- sorry for invading into your thread like that Alexxx.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
how can you make a carpet with the marimo balls? do you put patches in between mesh nets and place it above or a bit below the substrate? thank you.

- sorry for invading into your thread like that Alexxx.
making marimo carpets is pretty much the same as making riccia carpets, there are a few different methods. You can either tear the marimo into small pieces, and tie it to a bunch of small rocks (gives the rolling hill effect), tie a large patch to one large rock/piece of slate, or you may even be able to sandwich it between pieces of stainless steel mesh on top of the substrate.

·
Registered
685 Posts
making marimo carpets is pretty much the same as making riccia carpets, there are a few different methods. You can either tear the marimo into small pieces, and tie it to a bunch of small rocks (gives the rolling hill effect), tie a large patch to one large rock/piece of slate, or you may even be able to sandwich it between pieces of stainless steel mesh on top of the substrate.
Thank you. I'm not going to use it for rocks, but I will try the stainless steel mesh to form a carpet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.