The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once read that Java Fern can revert to a moss-like form in certain conditions, but I can't find this mentioned by any authoritative source.

My tank once had a beautiful mat of moss form on driftwood I had planted with Java Ferns. This moss was distinctly different than the Java Moss I had planted in the same tank. I'm just wondering if this was the Java Fern or I had picked up a tiny bit of mystery moss somewhere...

thanks!
Jeremy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sheesh, wish I had known that years ago. The tank is about to be torn down and renovated after being neglected for years and the plants and moss are kind of a mess. I think I can probably pull out a few fronds of what is likely the mystery moss and grow it out in new and improved conditions.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Its probably just a moss that hitch-hiked with the wood or Java Ferns and when the ferns died you saw the moss again.

With that said, there as said above there are several different stages of reproduction in ferns. For example süßwassertang is actually not a moss at all but the Loma Fern's gametophyte.

-Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.