The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a corner tank and am planning on having a pyramidal rock pile in the rear corner which won't get too much light.

I'm looking for a moss that is relatively close-growing and will thrive in 80F temps.

Also, should I wait to into. moss since it's a new tank or can I do it immediately?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
931 Posts
you can introduce all plants immediately when you set up the tank, its only fish that you should wait for. please feel free to add as many plants as you possibly can! :)

mosses are rarely close-growing, they all grow in multiple directions and they tend to grow in large clumps as opposed to a close carpet on top of rocks. also, mosses have a hard time attaching themselves to rocks unless there is a nice, rough surface for them to grow on. If it is smooth, the moss won't be able to attach itself. and one more thing, moss tends to grow better in colder water, so it will probably grow slowly in the higher temps like 80F.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have become particularly partial to flame moss because it stands erect in primarily one area without going in all directions. Just about any moss needs to be trimmed or thinned out.

There are various ways to attach moss. You can use nylon netting, or some type of nylon thread. Nylon is strong and does not dissolve in water. I have found a special kind of nylon thread that is invisible. It completely blends into the moss and whatever you are tying it to.

Many people believe that all mosses grow much better in cooler temps, but I don't think its that critical. Worst case is it may grow slower at 80 than it would at 75.

I keep a little moss kit. Thread, netting, and mesh squares.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts