·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Setting up a desk tank at work.

15gal long (24x12x12)
T5HO fishneedit light (2x24w)
powerhead on a sponge for movement/filtration
Excel + 1/3 EI dosing (obviously will tune this to plant needs later)(MAYBE pressurised if a deal I'm working on goes through)

Fauna:

cherry shrimp (lots)
not sure on the fish yet either rummynose or lampeye killi
dwarf cory (corydoras pygmaeus or hasbrosus)
otos (who can have a tank without otos?)
Amano shrimp

Flora: (I have or have on the way now)

willow moss
weeping moss
Flame moss
Christmas moss
Fissidens Font(us)
Fissidens (splach%^#$&(# however you spell the short version)
Subwassertang
Red Tiger Lotus (if It fits the scape)
Downoi
Cyperus Helferi

The two dangers I see with this tank and the things that bring me to the questions of the day:

What temperature will be optimal for all of these plants to grow in harmony? 76?

Is Excel going to be an issue with the Subwassertang or fissidens?

Can I start this setup emersed? (sans lotus, downoi, and C. Helferi of course) Or will any of these mosses not take kindly to that? I have the option of using the modded humidifier I bought for a frog setup that I never used. (although I don't really want to exercise this option if I don't HAVE to)

Thanks in advance for any responses from you knowledgable people. :)

The plants are on their way, so I need to know SOON :confused1:

*edit* added christmas moss forgot that one was coming too

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am pretty sure those can all be grown emersed, (except lotus and that other one I never heard of) but downoi can be grown emersed!

I have seen it on A.P.C.

As for moss, colder is better. That is all I know. All moss can be grown emersed. Most "aquatic" mosses are emersed by Autumn. Despite this, they still need access to water all the time.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the downoi won't be grown emersed simply because it's already coming from another setup of mine so there's no need, but it's good to know the rest of the mosses can be grown that way. I'm still not quite sure I'm going to do that, but I guess I could try it out and if it starts to go south, I'll flood the tank.

any other comments from the peanut gallery? maybe on excel, etc?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I see. So the downoi will not be emersed...

PS: Humidity must be very high for emersed to work. I almost killed an ANUBIAS by trying to grow it emersed, even though it's roots were underwater.

Never grown anything else but moss emersed. In any event, free BUMP for you.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hrmm... might have to go pressurised after all. :-| That'll force me to do an emersed setup for a couple weeks until I get the tank and regulator in.

Well thanks for all the info guys. Here's hoping lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts