The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was wondering if weeping moss would make a good moss carpet. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I'm not an expert but I don't see how you can get moss to root to you substrate. Is there a certain look you are going for as a carpet?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't have any experience with weeping moss, but I am using java moss as a carpet in a small area of my tank.

I'm not an expert but I don't see how you can get moss to root to you substrate. Is there a certain look you are going for as a carpet?
You don't need to plant the moss in the substrate. By securing the moss to flat stones you can get a good carpet effect.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
you don't. you attach it to rocks or stainless steel mesh. you're essentially just weighing it down.

i'm not sure if weeping moss would be the best choice. you might want to try tiawan or xmas moss instead. java moss could work too.

i hope someone else that knows more than me will chime in.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Hello. I was wondering if weeping moss would make a good moss carpet. Any suggestions?
Taiwan or christmas moss would be more suitable.

You attach the moss to pieces of slate or steel mesh that sit on top of the substrate.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
would the plastic mesh you would use for needle point work? i know it probably floats but has any one used that before?

·
Registered
313 Posts
The plastic mesh does work well. I have used it a couple times and just added a plant or two to the underneath of it to keep it down.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i'm just using tooth picks to keep it down for now untill the moss ataches itself to the mesh. then i think i will figure out something more permenant,

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
your gutter guard probably cost you around $10... my needle point mesh cost only $.38 and i can cover my whole 5.5gal plus with it.
The Gutter Guard is just around the same price. It's $2 off Amazon, I've seen it the same price in stores at times. 6"x20'

·
Registered
24 Posts
i guess you have to trim java moss to keep it from growing too long? (i assume you want it short to have the look of a carpet). does it stop at a certain length?

the java moss in one of my tanks has grown to about 1 foot long and it doesn't look like it is going to stop there :icon_eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts